HybridZ

Z is burning

binsayer

guys i just finished rebuilding my Z it has an elec fan and now it over heats all the time and when i turn the lights on it over heats faster oh yeah and another thing sometimes my speedometer hits 160 while the gear is not even shifted i think i have an electrical problem help me out please i think the fan is not getting enough power for some reason oh and just so you know there is no belt fan

I agree with Mario. Sounds like you have goblins in the electrical system. You could hook up a mechanical gauge to check for overheating. You could use an aftermarket electrical gauge powered directly off the battery too. I suggest you look for damaged wire(s) or faulty grounds under the dash. You may have gauges trying to find a ground through another gauge or component because there is no ground. Multi-element taillights will due this when a ground is bad.

Well I know the L6 engine cars (72-83) had mechanical speedos, so there could be something wrong with the trans. if its the 300zx then I don't know if it was mechanical or electrical. You could check if the balast resistor is bad also. something like that happend with my jeep.