HybridZ

transmission problems..diff problems?

Guest ramseylaz

Guest ramseylaz

ok guys i did a couple of searches,and found a couple of things here and there but not to what the extent i was looking for. i have a early 260 with the 350 swap and a r200 diff, problem is a have a 3 speed(only thing i could afford at the time)anyways it runs excellent untill about 65/70 the i hear this horrible grinding noise,and i can hear what sounds to be the rear end bouncing when i slow down and then gas it.the mechanic i brought it to says he doesnt know whats wrong with it and that he uses 3 speeds in his drag cars and they have reached 140 with no problem,he said maybe i need "more aggresive internals in the 3 speed" anyways im wondering whether it would be cheaper just to find a 4 or 5 speed auto(where and how much would it cost)or would it just be better to get a better build of the 3 speed.i have seen tons of people talking about transmissions buy hardly any of them with 3 speeds am i the only one that still has one of these in there z.

does it grind in 3rd all the time or just above 65?

It could be the diff too.

IT could also be a bad U-joint on the driveshaft?

The only other thing it could be is if ytou have a "lockup-type" trans and it is locking up and the clutches are slipping. You'll know if it's a lockup type because just before the noise you'll see the rpm drop slightly yet you aren't going any slower.

Sorry you have a strange problem there, if you could describe it more it might be easier to diagnose.

I had a T350 in my 260 for years without a problem I had 3.45 gear which helped (BMW dif). Anyway I would check all the u joints on halfshaft, driveshaft, and all differential attachments. I had additional side braces on mine and found they moved at higher speeds. Found it by painting the area then saw places of wear.

The problem will likely take time to find but it will be worth it. I now have a 4L60E which is the upgraded 700.

Good luck

PS If you upgrade I would recommend an LT1 and 4L60E but not necessary until this setup wears out IMO

Guest ramseylaz

thanks guys i really appreciate this..lets see i dont know what the rpm's are at because i dont have the rpm gauge hooked and i dont have the right speedometer gear in the transmission so its like around 20-30 miles off so about 100 on the speedo is about 70. i have a diff from a 280z when it was installed it was in awesome shape.ill have to check the joints though.havent done that yet..i ended up bringing it to do the swap at ricks rods in lafayette and i got screwed over and ended up having more problems with the car than i had originally.plus i have no one around here locally that works on a hybrid z,i have an import place about an hour away but they wont touch it because of the chevy implant.so i have to go on peoples advice that have already gone through this, and so far you guys are very nice and informative,i really appreciate that being a newbie and all.let me know what else you need to know and i can try to answer it.im just starting to get real into z's so go easy on me..im a z virgin..lol