HybridZ

ZG Flares on top of JCR flares?

Guest 71turboTEK

Guest 71turboTEK

I currently have a set of JCR Cali Z flares on my 240Z, only the rears though. I didnt care much for the fronts. But now, I think it looks a little unblanced with the large rear and stock front. If I were to bolt on a set of ZG flares for the front, it would also look odd because the JCR flares are a "full fender" flare without the extruded wheel arches, Im sure yall know what they look like. But anyway, could i slap those ZG flares on top of the JCR flares without it lookin bad? As far as strength goes, I closed in those corny looking brake vents at the leading edge of the JCR so its "fully bonded" to the car, very rigid. Now, with the 3 inches the JCR delivers plus the ZG's i think i can get away with running 15x12 wheels, and tires that are around 11.5 inches or 355 or so. So, any imput?

Guest 71turboTEK

well, im goin with diamond racing wheels (diamondracingwheels.com). They arent the best lookin wheels out there but the size and prices are just right. Yea, im gonna stick with the JCR only for now, cause it would be 5 inches of flare, and that would all be "stacked up" right behind the doors. might look a little extreme. So 15x10s will work, with 295 rubber. If i want more rolling stock ill do coilovers and go "in" rather than "out". Who knows, those flares are cheap, might just mock them up, take a few pics, let it sink in, then decide. Cause I really only wanna buy wheels and tires once, ya know. So, hows your turbo monster running these days?

just got my wheels from diamondracing wheels about a month ago...they have to be balanced from the lug holes instead of the center hole...sorta picky...mine are 15x8 pro series with 4 in. backspacing and clears the stock front suspension with 225/60r15 by about half an inch. There is about 3/4 of an inch of clearance in the rear so 245's would fit...I have stock fenders and it sticks out a little bit so I am just going to make up some 3 in. flares for the back and 2-2.5 in flares for the front. It took them about 2 weeks longer than they said for the wheels to ship unfortunately. I think they said there was a backlog or something...

The one thing, besides the way it might look not to your liking, is that the ZG flares are curved along the body lines of the Z fenders. Doesn't the JCR kit make the fenders more slab-sided, ie flatter?

In other words, the ZG flares won't sit flush to the JCR kit. That, my friend, will be the biggest obstable to overcome. A good body shop should be able to bring the flares out farther than they are now and there are a couple of ways, at least, to do this. I suppose you have to think about what you want first---try photoshopping the car first and see what it looks like before applying the rivets and epoxy.

Davy

Guest 71turboTEK

Hey olderthanme, did you run a 4inch backspace on the rears as well? Ive talked to only one guy who had the JCR kit and he said he was running 15x10 with a 4inch backspace, just trying to confirm.

yes I bought 4 of the same wheels...could have gone with another half inch of backspace if I was going with a wider wheel. backspace is the measure from the inside lip of the bead to the inside face of the center section where it the wheel mates with the rotor. diamondracingwheels.com has a chart on how to determine all of the parameters of your wheel on their site on this page...

http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/Terms-BS.htm

that should help and it is much easier to calculate backspace than offset which changes with wheel width. If you are running coilovers you could run about 5 in. of backspace wether it is a 15"x5.5" rim or a 15"x12" rim... nobody really make a rim as narrow as the first one with that much backspace but you get the picture...