HybridZ

82 280zx N/A to TURBO swap

rwdawg2

i didn't know wether or not to post this here or not.

i am relatively new to the forum as well as a Z owner.

My question is

I am doing a N/A to turbo Swap on my 1982 280zx and i was wondering if there are any differences between the N/a harness and the turbo harness. I also was wondering if i need the turbo distributor and/or the CAS.

I am also trying to get Grayzee to do a z31 ecu and maf swap for me b/c i am not so great with wiring.

So other than the two questions i asked if anyone has any more input on what i should do to complete the N/A to turbo swap please do answer and let me in on some of your insight.

thank you

Guest bastaad525

there are differences in the wiring harness.

The biggest difference is in the connectors where the harness attaches to the ECU. On the N/A ECU, there's just one large plastic clip, on the turbo harness, there are three smaller seperate plugs.

As far as I know, you cannot use the N/A harness with the turbo ECU. Maybe if you wanted to sit there and rewire the whole thing where it plugs into the ECU, and as far as I know, no one here has ever bothered. It would be a pain and take a long time, if you were going to go to the trouble, spend a few hundred bucks and install a Megasquirt system instead. It's been proven to make a LOT more power than the stock EFI, average around 40-50 whp more, for as little as $300-400 and some wiring time.

If you're going to stick with the turbo ECU, the best thing would be to use EVERYTHING associated with the turbo setup. You will need a matching year ECU and AFM, for one, and preferably a matching year wiring harness as well (there are some compatibility issues between different years). Yes you also need the turbo CAS, also preferably the matching year of the rest of your stuff (though you can technically use any year CAS/dizzy combo with any year turbo ecu/harness, I'm using an '81 front mount CAS and 'blank' dizzy with an '82 ecu and harness). The best bet is to find just one donor car and take everything off and use it all. Some smaller stuff like sensors are the same, but most everything else is different.

If you try to mix and match components, you are almost guaranteed to be making trouble for yourself further down the road. You may have small running issues or bugs, annoyances that will be very hard to track down, or you may have a car that doesn't even start. Lots of us have tried mixing and matching, and most of us have had issues from it, or at the least, have spent longer getting everything in good order and a good running car than if we had just kept everything together.