HybridZ

Tpi

Guest 69rscamaro

Guest 69rscamaro

Hi guys its been a while since I have been on here I hope everyone is doing well!

I am thinking of swaping a small block into my 83 280zx and I wanted to know if there was any reason that I could not use a tpi fuel injected engine in my car. I am a pretty good mechanic, but I wondered if there would be any clearance problems with the hood, or in the rear of the motor? Please let me know if any of you have any insight into what might stand in my way.

The only other plans are to put a 700r4 behind it and build the motor to a resonable 300 horse. I have the digital gauge cluster and I thought about taking it out, and making my own guage cluster with a analog autometer tach and speedo, and then insert oil pressur, water temp, and fuel tank level into the three guage cluster on the dash.

Thanks for any insight, and thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Dan Juday and others probably have more info and recollection of measurements than i do but mine had no problems clearing the hood. Ours are Z's and yours ZX so there could be some difference. Mine has a cowl in it, but very small and at the front the bulge looks stock. Also mine is further forward and higher than the JTR position so mine's worst case scenario. My Throttle Body sits 1/2"-1" below the hood. I can see it through the cowl from the drivers seat on the highway, pretty cool.

Here's the hood. Pretty close to stock at the front of the cowl.

2687.jpg

Here's my clearance to the firewall. As i said, more forward than JTR.

10682.jpg

Good luck with it.

Oh and one more plug. This is after initial install. Looks much rougher now.

2684.jpg

Hmmm, after reading the JTR description of both kits and their relative features and benefits, a little more detail work with the JTR kit would prove to be a better swap overall....I'm all for getting the engine down and back as far as possible, especially with the benefit of having the T5 shifter come out of the hole in the stock location.

All this made sense to me 10 years ago when I was (and still am) pursuing the S30 chassis V8 swap. Same rules apply to the ZX, go figure!

Nice work, Mike :2thumbs:

Davy