HybridZ

Glass replacement AFTER a re-paint?

Sean73

I had my Z painted a couple years ago. It was a $1500 paint job, and I felt like I got my money's worth for my budget at the time.

One thing I didn't do is have the windows removed. Now, if I ever have to replace the rubber on the car, I risk damaging the paint along the margins where it was taped off. The margin around the windows will always be a weak link in the cars finish.

If I have to replace a window, there is always a chance that the new gasket will be a little thicker than the old, thereby covering up the paint edge. I wish I could be that lucky.

Anyone have any experience with this dillema?

I can't be a judge if whether or not your money was well spent since there can be SO many variables to that. Its still a shame the painter wasn't motivated enough to use a wovwn cord under and along all seal edges to help the final product.

Always disasemble a car before a repaint or be victim too a lesser quality result.

Now to your problem,....I believe you will NOT have the option to buy anything but OEM Nissan rubber seals if and when you need to replace glass in order to fully cover your hard paint lines .You;ll STILL need to see about wetsanding that hard line down for the new seals to lay fully flat.Use the best Eurothane black sealer to complete the new seal and use plenty of tape to preload and secure all rubber edges.

You;ll need to run a razor around the seal to avoid tearing the paint before removal of the seal and glass.

Or prepare and repaint the car right next time.

Best of luck........Vinny