HybridZ

coil wiring problem

Turbo280Z

ok ive been looking around for help and ive been reading on this site for a while and i think u guys can help. ok heres what i got: 78' 280z with a 82' 280zx turbo motor. when i got the Z it had a turbo weber set up. and an odd wiring set up. i have most of the old wiring out the lights still work but i am going to be installing the painless wiring kit. i pulled the old motor and put the FI motor in. i have the ECU and FI wirng in the car. it turns over and theres power at the ECU but i cant seem to get the coil wiring right. ive had a few of my Z car friends and other mechanic friends and we cant seem to figure it out. i was thinking about getting an engine management system but i jus want it to be running 1st before i go in to major upgrades.

Yes, you can run it to the ignition. As for the other question I will simply direct you to this thread http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=105103&highlight=coil+trigger

there really is very little about a Z that hasn't been covered here already, and most of the members that have been around the block get tired of answering the same old questions. If you don't do a good search on the info your looking for sooner or later someone will give you a lashing for it.

If it's not the coil. I would put money on the ignitor. The coil always has 12 volts hooked up to the positive end. The computer sends a signal to the ignitor and the allows the negative end of the coil to ground.

Also check that the fuel pump is turning on. For the computer to generate a signal to the ignitor it needs to know the crank is spinning. When the crank spins the fuel pump turns on.

If the fuel pump never turns on it may not be seeing the crank signal. 81's have the sensor on the driver side near the harmonic balancer. The gap and position of the sensor need to be checked sometimes or the sensor can go bad as well.

no my crank angle sensor is in the distributor. and the fuel pump turns on because its wired into my ignition. theres power at the coil on the + and the -. so i think the coil is shot. just to make sure the + is the blue and the - is the Black with white stripe correct?

That is not correct.. you have the wires crossed

black/white is + and blue is -

I agree, blue should be on the negative side of the coil. It is the ground path for the coil. It grounds through the body of the ignitor, so it is also important that the mounting bracket of the ignitor is well grounded.

If you have a meter you can test the ignitor. Measure from the blue wire to the body for resistance. Apply a voltage to where the computer would normaly hookup (I used a simple 9v battery). Watch the meter go from something like a few Kilo Ohms of resistance to almost a short when applying a voltage.

Sorry I don't remember which connector (horizontal or vertical plug of the ignitor) the input voltage was since I sold my turbo motor the manual went with it.

A word of caution about directly wirng the fuel pump. It was hooked up to the computer so if the car wrecks and the engine shuts down the fuel shuts off.

ok thanks for all your help guys. my Z is finaly running but the rings and what not went out. luckily i have a spare motor thats all new so im puutin that in now. its jus about done jus need to run a oil line and mount the clutch and flywheel then bolt it back in the car. sorry if i was bein a pain.

o and whats the differance between the turbo auto and turbo manual ecu's?

it has a auto ecu but its now a manual. will it matter any?