HybridZ

DIY Body work?

beren

I believe its because its linked as a php file instead of a acutal image file (i.e. jpg, bmp, tif)

Ironically I have the same damage on mine

Well for somthing like that I would expect a body shop would try to straighten out the surrounding metal and just body fill that.

What I suggest in doing is to get a "spoon dolly" and try to pop the metal out as much as you can.you are going to have to remove the rear and rear left interior panels and remove the tail light to get to it. If you know a body guy, he prob has one.

Another way is to strategically drill holes in to the metal and put a nail throught from the inside out and use a slide hammer to try to get the indentaion out as much as possible.

the dent is never going to come out completely, the process is used so less body fill will be needed.

Or you can cut it out and weld on a replacement piece.

Just be sure to get a garrentee on color matching when going to get it painted. Its very hard to do even if you have the color code. Might as well get the whole car painted.

Well, right now I'm just focusing on getting the durn thing running again. My list of body-related woes:

• It had an "el cheapo" paint job, aka "$199 Maaco Special" where they didn't remove any glass so I've got the hard ridges everywhere.
  • Minor dents all along both sides
  • Antennae hole needs filling, either with antennae or welded panel
  • Someone removed the stock right hand mirror (Black Pearls came standard with the right hand mirror) and did a crap-tastic job with the holes in the door
  • Some minor rust around the windows

I keep going back and forth between doing a full off scouring of the whole vehicle, but with my fundage tank so empty at the moment, I don't want to see it sit for 2 (more) years gathering dust while I work on it... /sigh

Guest levelhead86

I've had some similar and worse damage on my Z before, and it's no big thing to repair yourself, but I'd say that I'd wait until you have the car running and ready to go, because I made the mistake of fixing some dents, then painting the whole thing...before I got it running. Result? The car still didn't run, and after sinking in all the money I did to get it running hard, I felt the car deserved a better paint/more thoughtful paintjob, so I paid to paint the car twice... Learn from my mistake, and just wait until you're about ready to start driving the dern thing before you do all the clean-up.

beren, long time no see....

from the pic it looks like something I could take care of pretty easily.

I'd need a better look at it to be sure, I'll be home on a 3 day weekend this weekend so give me a call and I'll come out and look if you'd like.

502-762-5500

FYI I FINALLY get my ZXR in the shop here in a week or so to get the quarter panel done, don't think i'll have the chance to paint it yet tho.

I'm not ready to do the repair yet, but it's good to know that there's someone local I know that I can go to!

I'm going to wait on all of the body/paint until I get my mechanical, suspension, and electrical issues worked out. That said, I think I'm going to have time to work on the car soon, so maybe it'll even see the street this spring!

Oh well, they're labors of love, right? It doesn't matter how long it takes, it just matters that you're enjoying it!