HybridZ

Problems during turbo clutch swap

Mex-Z-can

OK, I have searched, and did not find the problems that I have, so here it goes:

I did a turbo swap on my 240Z, but I used the n/a flywheel, clutch disk and pressure plate, simply because the donnor car is an auto and I didn't have a turbo clutch available. Everything worked fine. The engine started, and the car felt great, but as expected, I had some clutch slippage at full throttle, under boost.

So, I got a used flywheel, disk and pressure plate that a zcar.com member had for sale in the classsified ads. It looked OK, so i didn't have the flywheel resurfaced, just cleaned everything real good and dropped the tranny. I also got a new turbo collar and pilot bushing from MSA. I used the old bearing, since it was really no that old and seemed to be OK.

The n/a flywheel has only 6 bolts, and the turbo flywheel has 9, so I used the 6 from the n/a and 3 other bolts that I had in my "used bolt box". They were not exactly the same, but they looked close enough to me, so when I was installing the pressure plate, I placed the 3 different bolts at the same distance from each other on the flywheel.

Then I installed the tranny and everyrhing else. Now when I start the car with the tranny in neutral, there is some engine vibration and if I release the gas pedal, the engine slowly dies. This could be attributed to the bolts, but then comes the worst part: When I start depresing the clutch pedal, there's a terrible sound, like a machine gun. It gets worse as I depress the clutch. Needless to say that didn't fully depressed the pedal.

It sounds like the flywheel is hitting something, so, I removed the tranny and found very few metal shavings inside the bellhousing, but I was unable to see any damagged parts. I looked at the flywheel theets, and surface on both sides, the pressure plate, the bearing, and nothing seems to be wrong.

So, is my flywheel out of balance??? I'm getting new bolts anyway, but does it need to be re balanced??? Can this unbalance cause this hitting sound when the clutch pedal is depressed???

Thanks in advance.