HybridZ

Modifing titanium wrist pins

TheNeedForZ

I have a chance to get a set of used titanium piston pins(8) and I am contemplating modifying them for my L28ET.

The funny thing is, the pins are really short for the engine they were designed for (I think they are for Chevy or Ford?, see spec below) They are 57.15mm long so I dunno if it's ok to run a pin that short in a street vehicle.

Stock L series pin

21mm dia.

72.06mm long

4mm wall thickness

120 gram

used titanium pin

23.57mm dia.

57.15mm long

5mm wall thickness

77 grams

Ti pin after modified to fit L28ET

21mm dia.

57.15mm long

3.715mm wall thickness

70 gram? guesstimated

What do you think? If the short pins were used to run a larger bore Chevy or Ford, it is going to be ok to use them in a smaller bore Datsun L(gonna use 87mm)? My plan is to sand off the casidium coating, rough turn them on my home lathe and take the pins to a precision machine shop to turned to correct size. Then I'll have them coated again with either the original casidium coating or nitriding.

Thanks in advance for well informed inputs.

Every party needs a pooper...

IMHO- a really bad idea, save your money. Even regular wrist pins are hard, and IIRC titanium has a rep for being almost impossible to machine. (If there is sufficient meat in the rod end and piston, perhaps they could be made to fit the pins)?

This response not guaranteed to be well informed..:icon45: