HybridZ

Successful electric fan control?

trwebb26

I want to switch to electric fans (probably 2-12" flexalite fans like Yasin runs). They sell the thermostat kit for ~$40, but that would be another sensor, more crowded engine, and more wires.

Has anyone here used MS&SE to control electric fans? I've read a lot of info on the Megasquirt forums and the stuff on fan control is pretty spotty. Regardless, I'm willing to try with some guidance from "Master Moby" and the rest of you expert MS Z-heads.:wink:

I have a 78' N/A (83' dizzy) that will be running MS&SE w/ version 3.0 board in about a month.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Tim

I have used this circuit in two isntalls and it works, 1 controlling the taurus fan, the other controlling the buick 3.8l fan.

If you have a version 2.2 board some of the signals like X2, X4, X11 etc may need to have a wire soldered on the board so that they connect to the DB36 cable.

http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/outputs.htm

Also read this entire page, at the bottom it has a another circuit with the X pins labeled to give you another idea. The bottom line is that with 2.2 board you will have to build a small transistor circuit to control the relay that controls the fan.

MSnS does have hysteresis which allows you to have different on/off temp values so they fan doesn't jump on and off fast and kill the motor or relay. The $40 controllers also have hysteresis.

8239msns_transistor_circuit.jpg