HybridZ

Painting Hood Hinges

Guest Trudge

Guest Trudge

I've been painting door jams which are fairly easy to prep for paint but now I need to paint the hood hinges and front side of the radiator support and the area around where the hood hinges bolt to the body. I'm painting with 714 yellow BC&CC.

I need advice on how to prep and paint those areas.

How to clean?

sandblasted and prime or sand and prime?

paint hinges on the car or off?

I was wondering the same as well.The door hinges too.I took the hood hinges off the body(3 bolts each side,have to compress the hinge a little to get the last bolt)and was thinking of taking them apart,getting the pieces sandblasted,painting them black,(powdercoating would be ideal)piece them back together,grease,and put them back in the body.That's the plan at least.Just would be tougher IMO to coat on the paint,compress,coat on the paint,compress,etc,to get paint semi-evenly,to all areas.Still wondering about the door hinges,since you can't take them apart.Hope someone else chimes in with a good process,photos,and/or good results........

Guest Trudge

I am at the same point on the door hinges. I was going to bead blast them and then paint with the same BC&CC that I use on the rest of the car but then I thought about the hinge spring and roller. The paint on those pieces will chip and crack because the paint on the spring isn't flexible and the roller, well, you know what it will do to the paint.

I have the same issues with the hood hinges. How do you prep old, dirty, and faded painted items like hood hinges and hood springs to insure the best new paint adhesion and durability?

OK... I'll try to help you guys out best I can. I painted cars for 25 years and I can tell you that very often people bring you stuff that is damn near impossible to paint. Try to paint a motorcycle frame without leaving a bare spot. At my last painting job, a Chrysler dealership, they had a problem with the door handles chipping on the back side. How do you paint the backside of the door handles?

So.... hood hinges, take em off the car. Degrease em by washing in solvent with a parts brush. Take a maroon scotch-brite pad and a water hose and scuff the whole thing best you can. The scotch-brite pad will conform to the shape better then anything else. Hang them from a coat hanger in the position they'll be when the hood is open (same with the door hinges) and spray. Sorry, no trade secret way to do it, just do the best you can.