HybridZ

who would be interested in making a mclaren f1 front end with me?

yellowf40

We will get the template of the front bolt pattern of the fender and distance from one fender to the other, then we will divide the cost for getting the cad drawings of the mclaren f1 front end from

http://projectdiablo.com/mclaren_buynow.html.

Then Ill have my friend modify the mclaren f1 front end cad drawings in solid works a bit to make accomodate the bolt pattern of our fenders and the distance from one fender to the other. We can then get a mold and start stamp'n pieces out for whoever wants one.

240z-p-fender-rh-newsteel.JPG

I'd be interested in how the final look of the car would come out

I just sent him an email, this is what I said.

I was thinking will it be possible for you to modify the mclaren f1 front end cad drawings in solid works to fit the bolt pattern of the datsun fenders and the distance from one fender to the fender.

It will be the mclaren front end bolted to the white datsun fenders in picture 4 ,instead of the black front end thats on it.

Picture 3 is the datsun fender and picture 5 is the template bolt pattern of the fender. I will need cads of picture 5 so you can modify the mclaren f1 cad files to fit on it.

I think I can get the cads by having the fender cmm scanned, reverse engineered , am I correct?

Picture 1 and 2 is a body kit someone made that allows it to fit on the white datsun fenders in picture 4.

I will have to get the cads of the mclaren f1 from this site

http://projectdiablo.com/mclaren_buynow.html.

datsun2hq.jpg

You want to make a McLaren F1 front end for what car? To put on a Z car?

To put on a kit car? Why datsun bolt patterns?

Get a mold and start stamping pieces? How much does a sheetmetal stamping mold cost? Do you know?

for datsun cars, u want the datsun fender template bolt pattern so my friend can modify the front end of the mclaren f1, so that it will bolt right on our stock fenders.

its basically a modified top valance and lower valance panel of the mclaren f1, and hood.

That ferrari work took alot of skillz and I dont think it can compare to a sheetmetal stamp mold, as far as quality and quantity.

I mold I believe is 10,000 +, again my friend can estimate a cost for me, hes not in the usa either, so it will be cheaper to produce. But then again the more people to pitch in pay for the 10,000 ( if it was that much) the less it will cost each individual. For example 500 people /10,000 will be 20 bucks each.

Why McLaren F1? Have you built a computer model and saw that it would look really nice? Or just picked McLaren F1 for no reason?

I think it will look nice, if there is a 3d cad file for the datsun he can show you a 3d computer model, but where is that file if it exists?

I just like the mclaren f1, and the datsun has good curves to match it.

Guest el240z

I think the F1 look would only work if the rears were flared. I just don't see the stock rear of the Z matching to good with the whole F1 look. It would be cool to see though.

The McLaren F1 is a mid engined car with a 'cab-forward' design front end. The Z is the polar opposite with the cab being in the back of the car. To mate the two looks (and look good) will be nearly impossible. Good luck.

Davy

Guest Z Draci

I don't know if you guys have seen the McLaren F1 in real life but that car is actually smaller than the 240Z. He might be able to pull it off but the end product may not look anything like the F1 or the 240Z. The silhouette of both cars are very different as you can imagine.

I'm a big fan of the McLaren F1. I'd really like to see it done.

It Does not have to match the mc exactly, it could just have hints of it.

If you want to pull it off, he can modify the mclarens fender a bit to bolt on the shell of the datsun, and then scale the front end down, it can be done.

A car is not limited to its original design.

Guest levelhead86

I just saw a McLaren F1 at the car museum in Saratoga Springs this last weekend and wowwy wow... I think that you can probably carry over the vibe from that car into a datsun, with lowering the lines of the front end, but you'll likely need to go with a kit all the way around, to match that flattened bottom look that the McLaren has, because the most essential part of the F1 look, is the way the front end comes to a point, like 5"-6" from the ground; and then that line goes straight to the back of the car. If you want to do it right, it's a pretty serious project but it's got MASSIVE potential. Kudos.

Guest levelhead86

Well, if/when you get it, post what he comes up with... I'm interested, but I'm telling you already that you'll need more than an F1 style front end to make it look right on there.

I'm telln you my friend can do anything, If I can get a 3d model cad of a datsun and then we get these mclaren f1 cad drawings, you will see what he can do.

Well a CAD program is certainly the way to go when designing this kind of thing--good to see that you are taking this venture seriously. I hope your efforts turn out like you hope. However, I'm thinking the car will be a near total rebody before its finished. Again: good luck!!!

Davy