HybridZ

structural foam injection

i just read an article in sport compact car on a 300zxtt build up .they injected structural foam into rocker panels and frame rails to stiffen the body.this is a 2 part foam that some late model cars use from factory.they said they thought the body should be 40% stiffer.this is not spray foam insullation.this stuff came from body/paint supply for oem repair to new cars.the issue is june 2000.i am going to do this to my 77

This has come up before a couple of times. Judging from the openness of the lower rockers and their desire to rust right off the car it's pretty attractive to me :-) My interior is currently removed from the car and your post reminded me that I'd forgotten to order the silly foam (grr). I'm considering doing the rockers and possibly doing the frame rails - I'm less sure on the rails.

http://www.reactionresearch.com/automotive.html Has the faom and I've sent John an E-mail to ask him about using it. I ASSume he's used it in his various cars and know where to put it for the most strength. I'm also curious as to rust prevention and if I'll have to worry about fire should anything have to be welded later on - a BIG consideration on the Zs I'm afraid.

Has anyone actually done this to their car yet? Big difference? Quieter maybe? I've got a pile of DynaMat on the way for my car :-)

P.S. This from John over at VR ->

You can actually buy the same stuff I use at Home Depot. (Hrm, what is this stuff?)

However, particularly since you are going to be doing some welding and stuff

later, I don't think I would recommend putting foam in there first. It is a

fire hazard, but worse, it produces poisonous gas when it burns. Not a good

thing! (Yikes!)

Be careful

[This message has been edited by BLKMGK (edited August 08, 2000).]

The info I found about this stuff pretty much flat out states that hardware/home foam will not work in automotive applications. It cures with air, and as you inject it into sealed areas (like frame rails) it will seal itself away from air, so that it won't cure. The proper stuff to use is a 2 part foam, where the 2 parts react with each other, no air necessary.

This has been discussed a good deal on zcar.com, it might be worth your time to do a search there for this topic.

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

This is true however... it seems that John isn't using the home crap - from the looks of his site I figured he was using something of structural nature. When he said it was available at Home Depot I pretty much ASSumed he didn't mean the usual crap for insulating but rather something I hadn't noticed on the shelf.

I surely hope he's not selling that regular garbage for something like $40! (fuzzy memory but geez). Since he builds kit cars and convertibles I figured he'd have it down to a science - unfortunatly he didn't respond to my questions about where to inject the stuff other than the rockers. Where else to put it?

I'm still mildly interested in this but not if I've got to worry about toxic fumes! Rockers, frame rails.. where else?

P.S. Here's his price for it - $39 three cans. Hrm... http://www.reactionresearch.com/vrpricelist.html#requiredparts Perhaps I ASSumed too much (sigh)

the body shop at the ford dealer were i work has the correct stuff.it is a 2 part injection kit.4 gen camaros & trans ams use this in body.i cures with out air.the guys in body shop say that it will swell a body out if over filled.try shopping at a body/paint supply store.

If I'm not mistaken, the foam from Reaction(Velo Rossa) is for attaching & insulating the rear tub to the body. It is an aircraft quality product. He's never mentioned using it to strengthen chassis/frame to my knowledge, just used to make a sandwich effect similar to aircraft bodies/fuselage.