HybridZ

Look at What I got (r6 headlights)

AK-Z

I finally got my yamaha 2003 R6 headlights in the mail

1f_1.jpg

I was wondering, would it be easier to make a whole new set of fenders out of fiber glass to get them to fit or would making a housing out of sheet metal be any easier. BTW I was planning on making some kind of turn signal to go where the grill is shown on the headlights.

Guest el240z

AK-Z, are you planning on incorporating the entire headlight assembly? If that is the case then I would think that you would have to make a whole new fender for that headlight assembly. Also, are you planning on changing any other part of the front end to compliment those spiffy new lights? Either way, good luck on your endeavors.

Guest ON3GO

awesome, i was planning on doing this with the R1 headlights i have.

i thought to myself. "wow okay wont be that hard to fit in the stock headlight bucker, and then just start adding metal and all.

well after doing a mock up, the headlights just looked to small.

but those R6 ones are alot bigger, so it might work very well.

mike

Thanks. Well I've been thinking more on it and Am probably be going to hack the old fenders and reshape it. With something like this, everything is up in the air and nothing is set in stone as of yet, I just need a solid general plan of attach for this that is flexible to things changing as I move along with it.

I still have a while to figure things out so I just need some suggestions from everyone.

Yes I am planning to incorporate the whole assemblely (cut in half of course). I was planning to make whole new fenders when I ordered them but when I got them, they seemed alot more smaller than what I was expecting, so I might not need to make a whole new fender.

sorry if this jacks up your plans, but im sure it will. the r6 headlights arent the same left to right. although it looks like there are 4 lights, youll notice in the back there are only 2 bulbs. light from each bulb is just split into 2 lenses. so the bad news is that one side is low beam and the other is high beam. to clarify, the whole left side points light down and the whole right side points light up. had an 04 R6 and thought i should say something before you go cutting up your car - or those headlights. dont know if you planned on tilting the internals of the headlights, but yea i dont think you were, and i dont think you can.

sorry if this jacks up your plans, but im sure it will. the r6 headlights arent the same left to right. although it looks like there are 4 lights, youll notice in the back there are only 2 bulbs. light from each bulb is just split into 2 lenses. so the bad news is that one side is low beam and the other is high beam. to clarify, the whole left side points light down and the whole right side points light up. had an 04 R6 and thought i should say something before you go cutting up your car - or those headlights. dont know if you planned on tilting the internals of the headlights, but yea i dont think you were, and i dont think you can.

I think you are getting mixed up with the older 2002 R6 headlights.

9f_12.JPG

The Ones I have, do take only 2 bulbs, but are dual filiment bulbs. So both sides have high and low beams. Intesity might be a problem but I seen mods on R6 bikes that remedy that.

sorry man, but ive had an 04 R6 for 2 years, same thing as your 03 and its sitting in my garage with my z. test it out if you dont believe me. All bikes i can think of that have 2 sides for headlights (ie. not suzukis) are like this.. one side is for low beam, the other for high. at night youll see bikes that look like they have one light out, thats just the low beam setting (unless they run highs at night, which i do too). seriously test them before you do any cutting. even if the wiring is modded with dual filament bulbs the projection angles will be tweaked, one will be much higher than the other. the last thing im trying to do is spoil your plans, im just trying to point out the not-so-obvious before you make permanent changes to your car to incorporate those lights.

Thats alright, sigh. Oh well Looks like I'm going to have to do some internal rearranging. Well these sets make it easier because one of the lenses popped clear off:eek:. Besides that i haven't really touched them yet.

If anything I was planning on modding it to be quad bulbed, but now I am going to have to tear them apart to get them the to project at a right angle. I've seen the whole bike headlight on a car thing done before (CBR and a civic), so I know it can be done. I've figured I'm going to need to put on a set of fog lights so if they are to dim, that won't be an issue.

Now that gives me something to do till the snow melts:lol:

maybe use a heatgun and massage the plastic..? quad bulb would be cool. good luck.

Well I got them about even now, I used a heatgun (great minds think alike haha). The problem I am having right now is to choose whether or not to mod it for a quad bulb setup or rig up something for a HID setup. Either way I have to make a shield encloser so it won't melt the plasic.

With the HID I would be doing a single bulb per a headlight and have a either servo operated or electromagnet operated flapper/cover for the projector lenses.