HybridZ

Ecotec turbo with direct fuel injection

My newest magazine has an article about this, pretty cool to see the direct fuel injection in a gas engine. 260hp/260tq, I didn't read it all so I am not sure what the boost was. There graph showed a flat torque curve of 260lbs from 2K to 6K. That sounds fun. Full boost at 2k and still have top end.

Hey, moby.

I saw this in an article for the new '07 turbo Solstice. Some pontiac performance mag. IIRC.

The article I read talked about VVT for the torque curve you like so much,forged rods and crank, and "up to 20Lbs. of boost.

At the end of the article they were praising G.M. for finally coming out with something that would be able to compete with the imports in the tuner market.

I had a couple of thoughts on this.

1. If you want to raise the boost for more power, how do you get more fuel in the chamber? You can't just change out the injectors. And if i recall correctly the fuel rail pressure was something like 1200-1400 psi!! using a crank driven pump.

2. The twin scroll turbo does not look like any one I have ever seen. It appeared to be very long and thin front to back. Looks to be a propriatary item. If G.M did this for packaging/clearance issues. there may not be room in the engine bay for A larger unit.

3. Whats up with the 5300 rpm redline?

I couldn't help thinking that G.M. had just shot themselves in the foot AGAIN!!

Unless of course, they offer staged upgrades W/available financing like Dodge does. Still...

What do you think?

I think you are right on all the points, even the article pointed out that all of the ecotec aftermarket parts available right now will not work with this new engine since the head and pistons are special to support the direct injection and virtually everything else was changed. The torque curve does look like fun though. I didn't notice the 5300rpm redline in the article.