HybridZ

Turbo downpipe size?

Nathaust

Hi I have a fairly stock 240 turbo hybrid and I want to start upgrading it. Right now it is useing the stock t3 which I'm going to keep for now, possibly upgrading to a hybrid but I understand the exhaust side is the same anyway. It has the stock down pipe and 2.5inch exhaust running through some cat to a generic looking muffler. I've read the sticky about building up the engine and read a lot of your posts and it seems like a 3inch catless exhaust with a high flow muffler is best. Now to my question. MSA sells a 2.5 inch downpipe and the sticky faq recomends such but a lot of you run a 3 inch pipe. Is there much advantage to this considering the turbo output is less then 2.5inch?

thx,

John

Guest ON3GO

understand that if you upgrade the turbo you most likely wont beable to use that MSA downpipe.

its been talked about a few times and mostly everybody agrees on that 2.5in is more then fine for the stock turbo, and 3in is prob overkill for the stock turbo.. but once you upgrade the turbo its a different story.

mike

Nathaust,

From what i have heard, yes, there is benefit to having a larger diameter dump pipe than turbine outlet. As counterintuitive as this sounds I believe it is something to do with the vortex flow coming off the turbine wheel dropping over the lip (a sharp step up to a larger dia is what I have heard working, as opposed to a flare).

I'm not a CFD expert by any means and I don't pretend to understand this fully. 3D flow problems make my head hurt. Just thought I'd mention it.

Dave