HybridZ

MS V3 almost there!

HB280ZT

Hi All,

Well I am almost there with my MS V3 unit. But now I am not sure if I have my wiring correct. So look at my list and tell me if I am missing something.

Relay board:

INJ 1 and 2 - to the 6 injectors, 3 each

FP - to the Fuel pump

S5 - to neg side of coil

Vref - to red wire on TPS (will make sure wiring is not reversed)

TPS - to white wire on TPS (will make sure wiring is not reversed)

TPS ret - to black wire on TPS

Tack VR+ - to Green/Black wire from the Dizzy

MAT - to the IAT

MAT ret - to the IAT

CLT - to the factory Coolant temp sensor

CLT ret - to engine ground ??????????

O2 - to my LC1 unit

+12v injector - 3 lines to the 6 injectors (2 each)

12V bat - to the battery through a fuse

Switched 12v - from under the dash

Engine GND - to chassic and engine ground

Dizzy wires

Black/white - to 12v can I run this off of the extra +12v injector terminal???

Green/Black - to Tach VR+ on the relay box

Green/yellow - not used

Black - to engine ground with the shielding wire

Factory chassic wiring:

Blue - to the coil neg (to run the factory tach)

Black/white - 12v to the coil

So am I missing something or not??

Because I have seen a few diagrams that show pull up resistors in different places and some other ways to wire the MS unit other then what I have outlined up top. So any .02 would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

HB280ZT

Someone with v3 proofread my responses, because I haven't built one, but think my answers apply

Comments in message:

Relay board:

INJ 1 and 2 - to the 6 injectors, 3 each

FP - to the Fuel pump

S5 - to neg side of coil

Vref - to red wire on TPS (will make sure wiring is not reversed)

TPS - to white wire on TPS (will make sure wiring is not reversed)

TPS ret - to black wire on TPS

Tack VR+ - to Green/Black wire from the Dizzy

MAT - to the IAT

MAT ret - to the IAT

CLT - to the factory Coolant temp sensor

CLT ret - to engine ground ??????????

O2 - to my LC1 unit

+12v injector - 3 lines to the 6 injectors (2 each)

Run three injectors from inj1/inj2 and three injectors from inj3/inj4, that way you split the load across the two injector drivers.

CLT ret to engine ground is correct.

Use a 470ohm current limiting resistor to connect your LC1 to O2 input. LC1 wire to one side of resistor, other side of resistor to O2.

12V bat - to the battery through a fuse

Switched 12v - from under the dash

Engine GND - to chassic and engine ground

Make sure switched 12 volt is on during running and cranking

Dizzy wires

Black/white - to 12v can I run this off of the extra +12v injector terminal???

Green/Black - to Tach VR+ on the relay box

Green/yellow - not used

Black - to engine ground with the shielding wire

The 12 volt can come from the extra inector terminal, that is OK

Factory chassic wiring:

Blue - to the coil neg (to run the factory tach)

Black/white - 12v to the coil

So am I missing something or not??

Looks good, let us know.

Hi All,

Moby thanks for the information.

Now I just have two more questions.

1 - On one of the wiring diagrams that I have it has outputs from pin#26 (TPS Vref) going through a 1K 1/4w restistor to the negitive side of the coil along with pin#36 (IGT out)

Well Do I need to do this or not?? I was planning on just running S5 out to the neg side of the coil (remember I am running a relay board).

2 - for my LC1 connection I need 12v which I will get from switched power. In some of the diagrams they show power for the O2 sensor coming from the Fuel pump relay. Do I need to pull power from there for my LC1?

Thanks for the help.

HB280ZT

1 - On one of the wiring diagrams that I have it has outputs from pin#26 (TPS Vref) going through a 1K 1/4w restistor to the negitive side of the coil along with pin#36 (IGT out)

Well Do I need to do this or not?? I was planning on just running S5 out to the neg side of the coil (remember I am running a relay board).

2 - for my LC1 connection I need 12v which I will get from switched power. In some of the diagrams they show power for the O2 sensor coming from the Fuel pump relay. Do I need to pull power from there for my LC1?

The 1k 1/4 watt resistor you mention is for the GM HEI module, since you are using v3.0 board, the IGBT pin can drive the coil and you don't need the resistor or GM module.

The fuel pump relay power seems to be popular for powering the LC-1, you can do that. Or you can pull it from anywhere else that is on during running and cranking, or just running.

Hi All,

Well I am getting closer but it still is not running. So I have attached a Zip file that has several datalog files and my last 2 msq files.

Please look and it and tell me if you all see something wrong.

the car tries to start but will not run. I am running the MS1 V3 board, 29i code with some of the setup from Moby and DIY.

If you all need more informtion please let me know.

HB280ZT

MS files.zip

Moby,

I am running RX7 low impedence 460cc injectors.

As for 3.4 where are you seeing this value? I am still very new to this and I am getting a friend to help me out with this. He has been working with the MS units for several years now.

also what calculator are you talking about?

HB280ZT

He's talking about the REQ_FUEL setting, which is under SETTINGS>GENERAL (or Constants)

This is one of the most critical settings on the fueling side of things so you definitely want to get it right-- otherwise you'll be trying to compensate in your fuel table later and it's better to get it right here. If you haven't already I'd recommend reading the MegaManual at www.megasquirt.info until your eyes hurt :). It covers this and all of the other fuel related settings, and Moby's article covers how to get the ignition settings dialed in pretty good.

Is there anyone else here that has a v3 running on there 280zxt that can share a map? You'll need to make sure it's for the same firmware, or transfer the settings over into your config with your firmware, and then you'll still need to set REQ_FUEL for your engine/injector size as it's likely different than any map you'll 'borrow'.

Yep, you need to read the tuning section of the manual and then use the calculator to get the correct required fuel value for your injectors and also set the injectors to "alternating" instead of "simultaneous", otherwise your useable required fuel value is going to be too low, causing idle adjustment problems.

Follow the tuning guide and just get the engine idling after you fix required fuel. I think you are going to find that your VE table has to change a bunch across the entire table, but start with just idling. Do you have a wideband so you can adjust the fuel at idle?

OK guys,

As for reading the guide I have several times, enough of that for now.

Here is my new question, distributor setup:

I have the dist set at 60 degrees before TDC. If just so happens to be directly over one of the holes in the CAS wheel so I do get a light when I do the dist setup. So with this setup I should get a trigger everytime the optical sensor sees an opening in the CAS??

Also I just checked that I am getting a tach signal everytime the sensor sees a hole during a full rotation of the distributor, 2 full rotations of the crank. I did this in start and run to make sure I am getting a signal and to rule out a problem with the timing. So that being said I know no that the timing is good to go.

So what next??

HB280ZT

So that being said I know no that the timing is good to go.

So what next??

uh, I don't think so. You need to go into megatune and set the fixed angle to 10 degrees BTDC. Then put a timing light on the engine and crank it over and see if you are getting 10 degrees BTDC on the damper timing mark. Then you know the timing is set correctly. If it does not show 10 degrees, you either change the trigger angle in megatune OR you rotate the dizzy, one or the other. You might have done this already, but your post didn't mention it. And read the manual again :) haha just kidding.

The manual gives me a headache!! I will go back and check the timing again though just to make sure.

Also I just pulled the plugs and #1 is dry the rest are very wet with fuel.

So that being said I think I am chasing my tail on this one!

HB280ZT

So you're still getting fuel too all but one cylinder and you're sure of that? Being it's batch injection it's not the ECU then, possibly the wiring to that injector though or the injector itself.

I'd check that out...

Then once that's sorted it sounds like you're about ready to fire it up and tune the idle in and start tuning the rest of your ignition and fuel tables... then your AE and EGO correction. Along the way from day one you'll be working to dial in your cranking pulsewidths and warmup enrichments.

The best way to learn the ins and outs is to go through the learning curve and do it all yourself... the fast way is to find an identical setup and copy their settings to get close, then dial it in to perfection.

Well it is running now!

The problem was that I pulled a bone head and put in the wrong injectors, ie I have 2 sets with the same part number but are different impedence. So I thought I had the low impedence ones installed and they turn out to me the high impedence one, duh!!!!

Oh well live and learn.

now I need someone to please give me a good ve table.

I am tring to get this car ready for a show on saturday so it has to run. So if someone can help me out that would be great.

I am running the following:

8.5 compression ratio

460cc injectors high impedence

T3/T04 turbo 15 psi

intercooler

That is about it for now.

Now that it is running I am running like crazy to get this ready for the show so please help me out.

Thanks everyone for the help.

HB280ZT

I think there were some maps posted in Moby's original thread, or in a thread linked from there, I forget now. Look around though and you'll find them. You'll just want to export the .VEX VE Table to import it into your VE Table rather than the whole MSQ file probably-- and you'll need to make sure your REQ_FUEL, Crank Pulsewidths, and Accel Enrichments are tuned for your injector size.

You'll still have at least some VE tuning to do regardless, but this may get you close...

Moby,

I have tried to look at several of the other msq files but for some reason they all come up with an error!

I am running the Megatune 2.25.

I even looked into reconfiguring my megatune but it will not let me either. Also I looked at downloading an earlier version and I could not find any.

HB280ZT