HybridZ

l28 dished pistions to l28 flats - what did they come in and what do i need

24ounce

flats came in all 81-83 Nas right? or is there a certian head combo? or block?

im just going to the yard ot pull some out to slap in my l28 with mn47 head to achive somewhere around a 11:1 comp ration

when i go get them im gonna have to grab the whole set up right - rods and pistions as the pins are pressed in and i wonte be able to get just the pistion?? or am i wrong and its as simple as finding the right size socket and giving it a hit with a hammer?

this is my first time really digging to the motor - i allready have a cleaned up/ kinda rebuilt slightly ported on the intake MN47 and that gives me around 9:1 so thats not gonna do it for me so i need the flats :P

You can see the pistons thru the spark plug hole, if you are lucky, two of them will be near TDC, bring a flash light. The pins will require hydraulic press to get out. You'll have to make a jig to prevent pistons from being damaged or pay someone to do it. I guess you ask this because you want to buy as few parts as possible since the engines involved all have L28 rods. You have to get them as a set. If you want to remove the head to get the pistons/rods out thru the top, remember to clean out the ring of fouling around the top of the bores.

You have another option :

The other option is to sand down(or turn down if you have a lathe) your dished pistons a bit and use L24 rods. It costs you some labour and around 120$ for the L24 rods, but you get better rod/stroke ratio. The L24 rods are 3mm longer so you have to sand the pistons down until deck height is near zero. You can leave the pistons sticking out of the block a little bit to improve quench. If you are interested in this route, I'll tell you how to identify L24 rods so you don't end up buying L26 or L28 rods on eBay. A lot of eBayer's call their L26/L28 rods L24....

that woudl be awesome as i have an extra set of dished l28s and 2 extra sets of l24 rods and acess to a lathe + i could make my compression ratio pretty much whatever i wanted yes?

pleas hit me up with some more info

flat head pistons came in the NA 81-83 cars, dished pistons were on the turbo models only if the car is stock then the head for a turbo car should either be a P90 or P90A. All the 81-83 z's had a F54 block.