HybridZ

hot v8zx

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Fast Frog:

Thermostat!! Unless you changed it recently, if it's stuck shut, you have no coolant circulation. This can happen on any car.

I changed the thermostat twice and then I just took it out completely. It still runs hot.

Guest Locutus

if you take out the thermostat you need to put some kind of restrictor in there or it will still overheat sitting still. a good restrictor is to take the thermostat and cut out the middle, it can easily be done with tin snips. Also verify your gauge is right, I spent hundreds on my mustang trying to fix an "apparant" overheating problem, it turned out the gauge was showing an inaccurate reading. Having a $1200 engine replaced always makes you jumpy about your gauge readings, I can only imagine what you guys do with 6000 or more in your engines.

Mike

Guest MistaFosta

I can only imagine what you guys do with 6000 or more in your engines.

We pray a lot...

wink.gif

------------------

------------------------

V-Tec This!

Mista Fosta

just in case.....have you checked your coolant level?

and what are your plugs telling you? ie lean etc? $ on a carb rebuild (by yourself, doug roes HP book on rochesters is great) can be well spent, you should go through it, kits are cheap, check floats and needles/jets/hangar/make sure they're appropriate for what you're running, sounds like your float could be running out if it's always sputtering after a few seconds of constant acceleration, could be gummed up and not filling at normal speed either....

Hmm, I'm no longer running any qjets and do have 2 books in as new condition if someone's interested I suppose. email personaly if you are as I haven't been able to frequent this board often enough of late frown.gif

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Guest Anonymous

I have a Chev 350/Th350 set up in my 1979 280ZX. The radiator is stock with one extra row (4 core). I have electric 16" pull oriented rad. fan (aftermarket) and two push oriented fans from a Honda. I have chrome valve covers, ram's horn exhaust manifolds, dual exhaust, and a quadrajet out of the junkyard with nothing done to it, the fuel system has the in-tank electric pump (not hooked up) and a regular mechanical pump mounted on the engine.

For a short period of time, the car ran fine (cool) but then it started to overheat fairly quickly. It has always, however, sputtered by the end of the on-ramp after stepping on the gas to get on the freeway.

The waterpump seems to be pumping the coolant through the radiator nicely.

I was thinking that the overheating might be from a lean fuel condition and the sputtering might be a low float setting. What do you think?

What do you mean by "overheating"? With a v8z you should expect to run up to, but not above 210/215. Actually, your performance will be best at that temp. You may not have the problem you think you have, but be sure to run synthetic oil, Mobile I is my choice.

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by EPS:

What do you mean by "overheating"? With a v8z you should expect to run up to, but not above 210/215. Actually, your performance will be best at that temp. You may not have the problem you think you have, but be sure to run synthetic oil, Mobile I is my choice.

The temperature gage approaches 270 degrees before I spray water on the radiator and it goes back down temporarily.