HybridZ

problemmm

Hey everyone, I'm really late seeing this thread but thought I'd respond anyway. Based on what I'm reading here, Mike (HOWZDAT) contacted me some time after this post. I thought I'd give you guys my response to Mike about the problems he'd been encountering with my old Z. Two things I mentioned to Mike when he bought it was that the single plane manifold (unlike my old RPM manifold) needed to be checked for tightness every few weeks, otherwise it could loosen up and allow coolant to escape through the seal. The second thing was to check the coolant level at the same time you tighten the manifold.

When Mike called me about the overheating and crappy driving, I had him check the coolant as he said hadn't checked it in a while. The radiator was 2/3 full, and I went on to tell him about how I once saw the temp getting hot - caused by cavitation when the radiator was also about 2/3 full. As for the running crappy part, he explained it in detail and it sounded like a fouled plug to me that was aggravated by trying to clear out whatever the problem was by going WOT at low rpms. I told him to get a new set of plugs, fill the radiator up, and to keep an eye on the intake manifold for tightness.

Thanks everyone for helping Mike out, he has jumped into the world of Hybrid Zs and my guess is the experience will teach him a lot over time.

P.S.

Mike - If I were you, I'd go with Joey's shop from here on! It's right in your same town, he's totally cool and he knows these cars. Take it anywhere else and you're rolling the dice - big time it seems! Part of the stress you're experiencing with the car has been because a$$h@le mechanics give you estimates as if they're working on the space shuttle, and for bogus work like 'alternator gaskets.' Although I've got to say, I'm kinda interested in seeing what other crap that mechanic can think up.

Good luck!:2thumbs: