HybridZ

DIY Aerodynamic Improvements

If you had some scarab front fenders then it would be really easy to dump the air out the side. I want to try this on my Z but do I have the guts to cut my fenders...probably...they are trashed anyway. Maybe I will make a large tube to go from the inner fender to the outer fender rather than dumping it in the wheelwell where it will go back under the car.

Guest dherde26

IMG_0249.jpg

this is what i did among the same priciple and i still have the stock L series in mine

also vented the sides into the fender well wich is a low pressure area

IMG_0257.jpg

other side

IMG_0256.jpg

also i have the sealed airdam and layed my radiator forward a bit to help throw the air up toward the vent some more

IMG_0243.jpg

...The air that goes over the hood is low pressure air' date=' good to vent to. Once the air hits the windshield it packs up and becomes high pressure.

If you want to vent the engine compartment, do it in the middle of the hood towards the rear, like where Nissan put the vents on the 280 hood. You could use the same deflector idea and shove the air up and out of the middle of the hood.[/quote']

Have you seen the pictures of the new Shelby Mustang? It uses functional vents in the hood. The article in the July '06 Hot Rod says that they were added after some of the FR500C racers lost their hoods due to the buildup of underhood air. They look to be placed about midway between the front edge of the hood and the base of the windshield.

The reason I believe this setup is worth considering is because the Mustang has a sharp front edge on the hood, very similar to a Z.

EDIT: I should have said that the Mustang has a large grill opening as well as a sharp leading edge on the hood, BOTH of which are similar to the Z.