HybridZ

Spark / Timing Maps

trwebb26

I would set the low pressure point to be your idle pressure, and the max to be 100%. Since you are using Extra code to do ignition, you should be running a 12x12 map. Divide the difference between 100 and your idle pressure by 12 and start with that for load bands.

For RPM, again, set 12 equal RPM steps from 500 RPM to your max RPM, maybe 6500. Set you max advance at idle, like around 35 or so. Should make it idle nice, and give good throttle response. Then gradually back off your timing until you reach your max advance. With a stock 280Z, I would start with a max advance of 27 or so degrees.

This will get you started. Not much tweaking will be needed for an 8.5:1 CR NA motor.

If you have trouble interpreting this, let me know.

Set you max advance at idle, like around 35 or so. Should make it idle nice, and give good throttle response. Then gradually back off your timing until you reach your max advance.

I am confused after reading those two sentences?? I set timing at idle to 23 BTDC, then increase up to 38 BTDC by 3000 rpm, at any place in the timing map I remove 1 degree of timing per psi of boost.

Thats right, because once I learned how to tune it I changed over to the MSnS_Extra code, which also isn't in the sticky, my settings for it are in the map sharing sticky. 021u code

The sticky is very very basic and was written for MSnS original Magnus code. It really should be re-written for MSnS_extra and include real tuned settings for timing and fuel (when I used wideband and 450cc injectors).

I believe that it is an NA stock 280Z motor, so no need to have load bands beyond 100%. An L6 will idle just fine at 35 deg. What really matters is the max advance you can run without detonation. In fact, if the max advance is 30 deg, you can fill in the entire map with 30, and the motor will run great. Yea, you can optimize low RPM high load areas of the map to minimize detonation, which will allow more advance at higher RPMs, but tha can take a lot of time on the dyno to accomplish. Running a lot of advance at idle really effects the throttle response in positive way. Try it.