HybridZ

Just a funny thought

badjuju

It's a nice thought and for some reason it's taking away a lot of my stress to think of posting this. I just thought I'd get on and tell what I did today in an attempt to get closer to my car starting.

I have a hall effect sensor from cherry. The threads are 12mm x 1.00. I went to the local badass hardware store to buy some nuts to hold the sensor to the bracket I made to fit my stock CAS bracket on my 81 280 turbo. They had no 12x1 nuts. I was thinking of buying a smaller nut with a lot of meat to tap the nut out. Didn't have any 12x1 taps. Asked about helicoils. No 12x1 inner diameter helicoils.

I walked across the street to talk to my neighbor, who restores Jenson Interceptors (if you don't know that they are, look them up, pretty sweet cars) and asked his advice.

We lathed (spelling?) down a 3/4" alluminum bar to 1/2". We then threaded it using a 1/2" x 20tpi die. Next weekend when I get back from the university again I'll be milling a hole in the bar to make a tube with an inner diameter of 3/8 and an outer diameter of 1/2 with 20 turns per inch. we will stop the milling just before (and i mean just before, .009 inches) it breaches the end of the bar.

I broke open the cherry effect sensor and pulled out a rubber tube with a sensor on one side and wires on the other side, which was stuck inside their stock tube. We will, when I get back, drop some epoxy in the new tube and push the rubber tube inside it, effectively making a new sensor holder for mounting the sensor.

It just hit me that it doesn't bother me that my car isn't running. I worked all day today on a subproject that might or might not have any effect on the car, and might not actually work. BUT, I had fun doing it, learned a ton, got to use some actual machine shop tools, learned about some about some other cars, and got some hands on experience, good quality time working "on" my car (more like for my car, but whatever.)

anyways, just wanted to say that i feel a lot closer to you guys after today because i feel i have a much better understanding of why the hell we do what we do. my dad has been telling me to sell my car and buy a reliable 4 banger for about 3 months while my car has been down for this conversion while i have researched and tried out different methods of getting her running. I guess he just has different priorities, but he will be proud of me when he feels her pull once she runs again, and i'll be proud of myself, and even more proud of my car. anyways, i feel closer to you guys due to my work today and i wanted to say that i get you a little better. someone correct me if i'm wrong on this, lol

I had fun doing it, learned a ton, got to use some actual machine shop tools, learned about some about some other cars, and got some hands on experience, good quality time working "on" my car

That is awesome, I love reading stories like this. Instead of the whiny stories that someone can't find a widget and don't know what to do about it. Go to the lathe or mill and make it, thats what it is all about. Helps make you appreciate every part that is on the car.