HybridZ

Buying a used L28ET

I've searched and didn't find what I was looking for. Please direct me to the proper thread if this has been peviously discussed.Now with that out of the way...I'm looking to buy a L28ET that is currently in a car and running. Is there anything I should specifically look for when inspecting a the motor? I don't want to buy something and then have it eat itself two months later. Any suggestions are welcomed. Would a leakdown or compression test be sufficient?Also, is there a way to decrease the sound level of a BOV. Is it possible to reroute it back into the system as opposed to the atmosphere?

The stock BOV on the L28ET is NOT vented to the atmoshere but is located on runner 4 of the intake manifold. Sounds like the PO added an aftermarket BOV to the car. On 280zxt's the air ingested through the AFM is metered and the fuel charge is set based on the amount of air. Any BOV should be recirculated back into the intake track so as not to produce an over rich condition after venting. Most people recirculate the vented intake charge just in front of the turbo, into the AFM to turbo boot.

I'm sure other people will chime in on what to inspect on the turbo motor besides the compression. You should verify that the turbo shaft has little or no shaft play. Make sure that you get all the related hardware while you're at it. The turbo harness and ECU come to mind. If the donor is a auto turbo, the oil cooler is also nice to have, but you'll also need the oil filter base fitting and associated hoses.