HybridZ

OK, I need help with my EDIS setup badly! (No tach signal)

zane9000

What I have: V3 board, MS-II, EDIS-6 ignition.

So in my previous posts I have mentioned that originaly I could not get a tach signal into my MS. I basicly pulled some of the wiring out, and remade/repositioned my sensor mount and when I put it all back together it worked. Unfortunatly I then set off to solve my problem with the TPS. Pulled the MS board again, fixed a bad solder point, reinstalled. TPS now works, however the tach signal has disappeared again. I have done LOTS of tests, and here are the results:

Voltage between PIP and GND is 12V when disconnected from MS

Voltage between PIP and GND is drops to 3.7V when connected to MS

Meter reads aprox. 1.2-1.5kHz between PIP and GND when cranking (that translates to about 200-250RPM)

I have tested all components referenced in the MS V3 optoin circuit (http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/v3pcb_3.gif) except my opto-iscolator (U3) and I have double checked continuity between all points on the board with my meter.

I am absolutly stumped here. Is it possible that the MS-II chip would have all functions working except the tach input? Also I found it very strange that the voltage between PIP and GND drops to 3.7V when connected to MS.

Any ideas at all will be greatly apriciated. I want my car to run really bad!

EDIT:

I scrubbed my board with Acetone today to make sure I wasnt getting any shorts from excess flux.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fred Allen Burge
After further testing it seems the MS board itself is working great. The issue seems to be in my EDIS wireing...

Double check your crank sensor wiring, I had mine backwards and it wouldn't see a crank signal. Even though I matched wire colors it was still backwards, once I swapped the wires it fired up.

Fred

• Administrators
My EDIS setup was abandon a few days ago in favor of points and MS-II firing the coil directly.

Thanks though.

Ah bummer. Sorry you couldn’t get EDIS to work right.

We were able to get EDIS-6 to function on our N/A L-28 with MSnS-E and we LOVE it thus far.

Good luck with your new ignition …