HybridZ

question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi, i'm new to the forum, and have a question about my z. Its a 280ZX with a chevy 350, 3spd auto transmission, and the R-180 rear-end. i picked the thing up for 650 including extra doors/fenders, r200 rear end, extra hood, and alot of extra interior pieces. My question is, i'm going to be swapping in the R-200 rear end and doing some work on the driveshaft. i've tried to drive it daily, but with the 3spd it runs really wound up at 55+ (the tach doesnt work, but i'd suspect its around 3k+) the 350 is basically stock, i think it may have a little wilder than stock cam, but what would be a good transmission to swap in? i dont know much about chevy transmissions, but i'm pretty sure i just need one with an overdrive, well thanks for any help in advance.

If you want an automatic transmission, the best bet is to get a 700R4 tranny--they are fairly plentiful and parts are readily available. If you choose to go 5 speed, you could get away with a Camaro T5 unit. Go for a 1988 or later "world class" units, since they are purportedly more reliable.

Another trans to consider would be a well built 200R4 - I believe at least one member has had good luck with them behind V8s and is what's in Scottie's GNZ. The advantage to a 200R4 over the 700 is size - it's supposed to the same length as the TH350 so the drivesahft could probably be reused. I'd double check that this is indeed true though before picking one up. Oh, and since the 200 isn'r as popular the core migh tbe a bit cheaper too smile.gif JTR says that the speedo stuff might be a bit more difficult to adapt too so keep that in mind.

Guest Fast Frog

To followup on what DavyZ posted, If you go T-5 get the World Class T-5. A World Class T-5 can be identified by the name on the face of the main bearing cap on the front of the tranny. If it says "Timkin", it's a WC T-5. If it says "Torrington" it's the other kind of T-5. The WC T-5 has a torque rating of 300+ ftlbs. They can be beefed up to 325+/- ftlbs. A WC can take 400HP if you don't abuse it. It's probably the lightest of your option of trannys and there is no "beating up" of your tranny tunnel to install it.

Rick

Guest Fast Frog

To followup on what DavyZ posted, If you go T-5 get the World Class T-5. A World Class T-5 can be identified by the name on the face of the main bearing cap on the front of the tranny. If it says "Timkin", it's a WC T-5. If it says "Torrington" it's the other kind of T-5. The WC T-5 has a torque rating of 300+ ftlbs. They can be beefed up to 325+/- ftlbs. A WC can take 400HP if you don't abuse it. It's probably the lightest(weight wise) of your option of trannys and there is no "beating up" of your tranny tunnel to install it.

Rick

Rick, wasn't it you that had a T5 beefed up by a tranny shop? If it was, what did that run you $$$??? The wreckers around here have T5 unit for about $850, but this does not include the bellhousing or the slave cylinder. I may beef up a T5 unless the cost becomes stupid, then I'll go to a T56 or even a Tremec T5 adapted to GM spec.