HybridZ

Chassis Design

I would like to desgin the 240-280z suspension and model it on my computer. I recently got a new job and we have Autodesk Inventor, which has amazing possiblites. We can tweak things easily, run different scenarios, do stress analysis. Animate through full range of motion, check for binding, caster camber, spring sizing, you name it. I recently grabbed the PDF file from pparaska site and have the frame and mounitng points done. I need more info and my car is stored an hour away. Any dimensions you guys have on struts, steering geometry pass it this way.

I want this to become a thread so we can all learn from, technical terms, design, improvements. Pictures and spreadsheets will all be free for everyone to use.

I think if we concentrate on the front control arm and strut it should be a nice start to get the ball rolling. Lentgth & width and mounting points of the control arm. The diamter of strut and lengths. I will sift throught the manual and see if I can dig up any more info.

I'm not familiar with Autodesk Inventor, but for others interested in designing a spaceframe and custom suspension, I'm using a freeware program called GRAPE for the suspension and Suspension Analyzer from Performance Trends for the suspension. I'm just about ready to start building the spaceframe! My steel tubing just came in yesterday.

Hey olderthanme,

Well, I've been tinkering with it, but time is kind of limited... I'm studying for the bar exam this summer. I'm hoping to break out the chop saw again later this week though. My next step is to cut off the front tub (from the windshield forward) and build the front frame snout. Then I'll cut out the rest of the floor and build the rear and center sections.

Will post updates as they come.

Inventor is much like Solidworks, it replaced Mechanical Desktop. One of the big features of these programs is parametric modeling. For example if I want to change the wheel size from 15" to 16", I just type in the new dimension and it updates automatically.

I have heard of grape, many great racers have used it. Keep us updated in the thread.

Does anyone have a link to this grape program, I would like to check it out? I have used Susprog3d, Suspension analyzer, ADAMS and Bill Mitchell's Wingeo before for suspension design and they all have their good and bad sides.

Are you using inventor for any reason, it seems a more suspension oriented program would be more beneficial for work like this. It just seems that there's a lot of extra work involved in using something like inventor. But I guess if there's an FE addition to this, you could use it for stresses and loads and such to calculate what size members you would need.

I have to learn Inventor anyway, so using it on the chassis is just easY to deal with something I know. Once you know what you are doing in inventor, you can whip up a suspension in no time. I imgaine the programs have limits on the type of modifications you can do. I can also use it for building other car parts.

I found Grape on CC, thanks. So it looks like it's just an FE program, and not a suspension analysis program. So it's something more along the lines of ANSYS. So it's something that's good for rigid parts and not modeling suspension kinematics.

About inventor, it sounds like you'll be fine using that. I don't know what you mean about limits to the modifications you can do. What kind of stuff are you planning? Some of the cheaper programs do have limits, but it also depends if they have a template for your or if you have the ability (in the program) to create your own. If you step up to a program like ADAMS, you can do anything. It just has a very steep learning curve. One thing I would like about using inventor would be the complications when trying to graph suspension features. I mean just for an example, graphing camber versus wheel travel to get an idea of what your camber curve will look like. In a decent suspension program, you just have to click a couple things, but in inventor it seems like you would have to do a lot more. But it might be easier than I'm imagining, I haven't had any experience with it in about 5 years and even then it wasn't much. But then again, even with experience in other CAD software and imagining the possibilities, I would choose a simple suspension analysis program, like susprog3d or suspension analyzer, over the CAD program any day, just for the layout.

• 2 weeks later...

I have made a great deal of progress with inventor and have most features figured out by now. The constraints were the hardest part, especially on the adaptive parts. A big hurdle to get over is drawing without precision like Autocad, fill in all the blanks after. I have dimensions linked into an excel spreadsheet and have done avi animations of the strut. For some reason the file is huge, not sure what's up with that. If somone could give me strut dimensions and control rod dimensions I can plug them in and begin analyzing the suspension.

http://www.geocities.com/clint78z/SPRING.jpg