HybridZ

Maxima brackets NG!!!!!!!!

Guest scca

Al has 5 lug rotors but the offset is the same as a 82-3 turbo ZX.......

just 5 lug instead of 4 lug....

one maybe is that the "ZX" calipers alsil got from the rebuild place arent the correct cores.....

you would need a core to compare.. so many people give the wrong core back that its inevitable that some will be boxed incorrectly....

FYI i just got a 4runner caliper in a truck part# box.... they are different but the rebuilder just put them in the wrong boxes..

its easy when you have the original core to compare but when you are buying "replacement" items you have no way of knowing if you actually got the correct part!

Mike

The '82 ZX caliper "hanger" I have, measures in at 5/8" or 16 mm where it bolts to the bracket and a rotor opening of 14mm or roughly 9/16".

bracketandhanger.JPG

As stated before. I am willing to share any or all info with anyone that asks. Especially if it will save time and money(alsil, hint hint). I am still looking for better/cheaper alternatives. Everything that I have done so far has been through the calculator more then acouple times. I just hope I remembered how to use it.

I'll still need all this material when I do start the V8 project.

[This message has been edited by spotfitz (edited February 09, 2001).]

unfortunately i dont have any ZX calipers anymore---- i threw them all away years ago..

now their worth something for cores- go figure....

so Alsil---- its up to you to figure this part out!

MIke

Alsil,,,,,,,

after looking at your pic of the caliper on the hub it looks like your stub axle isnt seated??? is it all bolted together in the picture??

i have a 5 lug rotor sitting here in a Z rear hub and the gap between the rotor face and the maxima bracket (loaned to me by Rueben) is about 11mm your "appears" to be more in the pic.....

so my first guess is your hub isnt bolted together and seated inplace yet...

let me know if i'm correct....

Mike

SCCA,

I was just thinking of something. Lets say that the 240SX caliper hanger is actually different, which looking at the pics alsil put up they are, but what about the actual caliper? Thinking what I'm thinking?

Here is another thought. If I do recall you had mentioned a bolt on Maxima bracket that had all the right measurements, but the offset was to deep. About an 1" or 15/16" was the actual offset. Looking at the hanger for the 240SX calipers it appears that it needs about 1/4" more offset compared to the offset that the Maxima bracket gives on Alsils car. See where I'm going? This idea can only be determined by the fact that the hub is actually seated all the way and the offset is where it needs to be with that rotor. Plausible though. Even if I do say so myself. :-)

spotfit.....

a few posts back i mentioned trying the caliper hanger from a 280zx with a 240sx caliper on a "offset" maxima bracket....

it got confusing with all the things that are brackets.....

i think your talking about the same thing though???

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.fonebooth.com/brakes.html

raceparts and brake upgrades.

quote:

Originally posted by scca:

spotfit.....

a few posts back i mentioned trying the caliper hanger from a 280zx with a 240sx caliper on a "offset" maxima bracket....

it got confusing with all the things that are brackets.....

i think your talking about the same thing though???

I read that post and yes I repeated what you said, but it's not the calipers that are different(by looking at alsil's pics) it is the "hanger" or bracket that bolts to the piston part of the caliper's that have a difference to them. The offset. I'm sure of this. What I was suggesting was that using what ever Maxima bracket(or fabbed bracket) with what ever hanger bracket(not necessarily the caliper itself) is what we are trying to figure out. We are shooting for the SX caliper. If the actual piston part of the ZX caliper and SX caliper is the same then this cheap and readily available SX caliper is for us. Once you have a set of ZX calipers from a bone yard go buy a set of SX calipers and just exchange the piston portion of the caliper and you keep the ZX hanger on your maxima bracket(which ever it is). The SX hanger and ZX caliper would be your core. Assuming the ZX hanger is the one we need to go with the maxima bracket offset. I'm mainly playing with the offsets of the brackets I've heard about and seen and the offsets of the hangers I've seen to make the piston portion of the SX calipers work. So, will the hanger of each caliper swap?

The other thought was if alsils' stub axle is correctly seated and neither hanger will work then we are right back to the same deal. No bracket, but you mentioned in another post about a Maxima bracket that you found that was way to deep of an offset(about 1" or so). Looking at the spacing needed to make alsils' hanger to bolt up in the correct place, the bracket needs to have more of an offset using the SX hanger, which could then be used with the piston part of the SX caliper. Basically, the whole SX caliper could be used with the Maxima bracket that had the 1" or so offset to it.

I'm probably just repeating myself again in other words, but we need to know if his hub is seated all the way.

Besides the fact that I need a cup of coffee still. Does any of this make since?

I'm way confused and still brakeless frown.gif Sounds like Mikelly's bracket, my (SCCA's)rotor, and some Outlaw calipers (?) might work with Willwood spots - yes?

Am so confused. Really needed to roll the car around some last night while pulling the motor and couldn't. Ended up barely knicking the bumper as a result and the motor is in a position where I can hardly move around it in the garage - car needs to move! I hope someone can figure out a bracket solution even if it's from scratch. The 240 calipers are nothing to look at but they WILL stop the car so I may have to move forward with welding them on (shrug). Some silver brake paint might help maybe! (lol)

Mike - that motor in th etruck yet? Might be time to do some welding? smile.gif

JIm,, mikelly's rotors are going out today and he'll have them by thursday...

the offer still stands to make you a bolt on set... for $ of course smile.gif

the flat bracket spot caliper is a ??

i can get the park-lock hydraulic thing for $25...ordering one both for me and mikelly..

Mike

Jim,,

i dont know whats easiest........

1) weld on

2) make bolt on brackets for what you have

3) spend more $ and get outlaw rears with either a spot caliper or park lok for hte ebrake....

you have to pick whats best for you....

once you decide that just do it!

lets see that car rollin'''''''

MIke

Welll... IF we do a bolt on bracket for the 240SX would it be easy to swap to the Outlaws? Part of th eattraction to the Outlaws is looks - aluminum over iron. I'd like to stick with the rotors I've got too smile.gif

What would a suitable set of calipers for the rear (Outlaw) run? Brackets? I don't recall the cost on the spot calipers either. I'm not real hot on the hydraulic E-brake. This is because of both safety and because I'm anal about a useless brake handle in the car when I know the woman might actually drive the car once or twice. Bad enough she had to learn to keep the RX7 in neutral after turning it off thanks to the turbo timer (ahem).

Ya' know you want to make brackets anyway smile.gif Mikelly - you say the JCR's work with the rotor I lent you?

Ah, but the bracket cost is the BIG question. So long as I could use my existing rotors and E-brake cable without too much monkeying around the cost of the calipers and spots isn't too hateful. I'd even be willing to send the SX calipers (and ears if you want them) back as cores (grin). Then to make it a true bolt on we'd just need hoses to adapt over. I'd pick up some speedbleeders too smile.gif

FWIW those puppies are listed as being billet, 2 piston (stainless), and weighing 1.75lbs in Pegusus. They want $108 for them so if you're getting them to us for $80someodd that's a pretty good deal IMO! Is the 1000 the best choice? Prices go up quickly on the others and they're all 4piston. How hard are pads to find?

Which Outlaws are you using up front? What size difference are the front rotors with the Outlaw over what I've got now? What else aside from rotors and calipers would I need up front IF I did that too? Matching isn't that big a deal to me honestly and I think the Toyrunner stuff up front is likely big enough but... while I'm at it I might as well inquire smile.gif

Heh, I'm used to the big 13inch stuff on the Mustang and whatever crossdrilled things are on the RX7 so looking at my current stuff here it looks small but I know it's likely good enough for my use. I don't know that I'll ever really hit the track hard but it could happen.

Lastly, is anyone else interested in the OutlawWillwood spot solution? IMO it would make the most sense if several of us got together on this so that Mike's labor to build the brackets wouldn't be just for me ($). It's pretty obvious that a good rear solution needs to be built and when you compare the COST of the SX and ZX calipers over the performance and looks of the OutlawWillwood combo it damn near makes economic sense too if the brackets aren't too expensive. If you can work up a price Mike I'll bet the guys over on ZCar would be interested too (shrug). Should we ask?

P.S. Pegasus sells Z camber plates for $140 too - a decent price?

Guest Anonymous

It looks like the rear brake combinations are getting pretty numerous and front brakes are getting there as well. I know I would love a way to get all of the options in one place and make a decision based on cost/performance/need. All the discussion here has my head spinning smile.gif

Craig