HybridZ

update on car with questions

innerware

So, I have finally finished grad school, and all the projects I had at work. I have 8 days left before I move cross country and that is all the time I have to strip my 78 of all its parts and put them either in boxes to ship or on my 77 which I am keeping. So, today I put the 78 on jack stands and took out my JTR radiator and new altenator. Pulled the bumper, fenders, light scoops, and front air damn thing under the scoops. I did the same with the 77 as I am going to keep and put the 78 fenders on it. I also wire wheeled some surface rust and ground down a nasty weld from an old poorly done repair that I will reweld this week.

My question... So the whole front cross member assembly on my 78 is in great shape. The steering rack has non torn boots, new tie rod ends, new end links, ball joints, shocks and springs, sway bar bushings. The 77 has all old stuff. In order to move the whole thing over as an assembly I have to support the engine and unbolt the mounts right? Once that is done there are just the four bolts securing this assembly to the frame right? I should be able to pull the entire unit (steering rack, shocks, etc) and put it on my 77 correct? I'll have to borrow a lift to pull the engine on the 78 and to hold the 77 engine. But does anyone see any problems with this? Or do you have a better way? The rack on the 77 has torn boots and I don't know what condition the parts are in but know the parts on the 78 are within 8K miles old or way newer.

Hints and tips are welcome. Thanks all. No pressure for me this week or anything. My goals are to have it in pretty good shape. No visible rust, all the new parts from the 78 installed, and primered. It will then sit for a better part of a year indoors at my shop untill I have a place for it. I am not putting it outside in New England weather. So untill I have a garage it will sit in a dry California converted warehouse with a cover over it.

Thanks for everything Z family,

Kyle

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=7968&cat=500

this is just a link to two pics of my two cars. The blueish black one is the 77 that I am keeping. The other sadly enough is junk scrap metal when I am done with it.

Swap is done. Not that it was brain surgery or anything. Took me forever to get the engine out of the 78 with the tranny and to pull the whole front end. Took me another day just about to get it up into the 77 and all secured. While I was at it I changed the motor mounts and steering rack bushings. Man oh man the mounts are a pain in the arse. Doing all this by myself is taking alot out of me. I am so a newbe at this sort of stuff. My arms are all black and blue and I look so haggerd. But it is coming along. I have the radiator, altinator, and starter to swap next along with the master and slave clutch cylinder. I'm going to swap rear ends the same way too. A arms with diff, half shafts and suspension all in one go.

I'll keep you all posted to see if it is all possible to finish before next Wed. morning.