HybridZ

I am all archived out...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I tried searching the archives to find answers to my 2 most recent questions and most likely missed them. Reguarding the T56 tranny, the '94 and up is rated to 450 lb/ft correct? Is it the torque that will break them or the horsepower? On the guys running 500hp and 500 lb/ft plus (reguardless of your platform...camaro, vette..Z) how does the T56 stand up to that? Have you heard any horror stories about it breaking at those numbers? Are the guys at the strip having any probs with them? I can't seem to find any issues with them.

Question #2. Is it possible/feasible to install a TPI or LT1 type of FI on an early model small block? I would rather just pay for the FI set up and not have to buy another block. Is this a bad move? Can you recommend any engine builders that do a good job on a 400hp LT1? I have pretty much decided that that is what will be the new heart of my Z. When I do, I'll have a 350sbc and 700R4 up for grabs. Thanks for the info guys

------------------

Chris

Can't help you with the tranny info, Razor, but I can give you an opinion about the FI. First, you might be able to buy just the injection stuff, but what is the cost relative to a complete engine? Might be more if you have to piece-meal it together. I'm almost sure you can install the injection stuff on an older block. However, there might be some machining to do to the block. A good engine builder/machinist will know what to do. Hope someone else chimes in with some facts and figs for you.

Okay, maybe some help on both...

First the trannie - I wouldn't sweat it. I've not heard of major failures with these suckers and Viper guys are running MUCH bigger HP through them than we are. Yes, they have a slightly different trans with a different gearset and some small internal mods but I don't think it's THAT different. These transmissions, unlike the glass T5, take the power pretty well! Don't forget that a CamaroFirebird weighs MUCH more than a Z - probably close to 3500lbs vs 2500. It's the torque IMHO in such a heavy car that kills it. When the trans is asked to move such a lump it really can be strained smile.gif We've lowered that load so when you read about 450HP blown F-bodies running T56s realize that we should be as well of to that level and higher. If you're really curious head to the F-Body BBS and ask but I believe that so far they've been pretty durable.

As for the EFI - if you've already got a motor I would use it. My personal plan of action is to get things running carbed first, then EFI, then maybe a blower. To go EFI I will probably use the carb intake drilled and setup for port EFI. OEM EFI setups are designed for torque NOT horsepower. When an OEM long runner intake is dynoed against a carb intake the carb will usually take the HP while the EFI takes torque. That's great until you change displacement, cam, RPM range, or simply want more airflow. At that point the OEM EFI is a cork and will starve HP, torque on the other hand will probably be wonderful smile.gif A solution to this is to setup a carb intake for EFI and get the HP advantages. Not sure it'll help in the torque dept. but with a 2500lb car do you really want tons of low end torque? I don't - I'd like to be able to launch this puppy and not simply fry the tires. For this reason I've chosen a single plane intake for my car - it's also supposed to be one of the easier types to modify for EFI too smile.gif Arizona Speed and Marine, Kinsler, Electromotive, and others all sell parts to convert to EFI...

IF you've got your heart set on a TPI type intake for whatever reason check with Arizona and Kinsler as well as look at Accell's line of intakes. I'm pretty sure that you'll find at least a few that are designed to be run on older style motors.

Hope that helps!

Guest Fast Frog

Also take a look at TPIS's LT-1 type mini-ram fuel injection manifold. This manifold with its 58mm throttle body and alum fuel rail is top quality and less expensive than Accels.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys. That gives me some direction to head in. I've checked some of the other FI sites mentioned earlier, I'll head over to TPIS to look now. I had planned earlier on to build up a carbed setup first then go with FI and possibly blower if things are stable enough. I thought maybe an LT1 block would just be cheaper in the long run to setup, but maybe not. Can't wait til I get a T56 in there. hehe

------------------

Chris