HybridZ

TPI distributor replacement and batch fire phasing

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I had to replace the dist in in 305 tpi motor. When I installed it it missed by a tooth, but would not come back out. It was stuck. Really Stuck. I moved the wires on the cap to match the new rotor location and cranked the car. It has run poorly ever since and timeing has been set at various locations.

Now I find that the car is a batch fire system and fires each bank of fuel injectors all at once. If the ECM gets the information from the distributor I am screwed because when the ignition if firing to # 1 the injectors my be firing the passanger side of the bank with fuel.

with the 18436572 firing order when I rewired the cap #1 is now where # 8 used to be and the injectors are always firing out of time on all odd cylinders and only correctly timed on the # 4 cylinder?

Please help?

Am I correct in my assumption

------------------

He sent me to get the Jedi

dont worry about injector phasing.you need to replant dist.if you pull #1 plug put a remote starter button on starter and put thumb on hole .tap starter till you just start to get compression then use wrench on crank and set pulley to about 10 btdc.when dist is in correctly the rotor will point at #1 cyl-slightly to right of center.the b+ wire and tach wire will be pointing directly at side of car.when car starts set timing to specs or slightly advanced .make sure you disconnect timing wire or what ever you need to do to get computor out of timing-see emission sticker under hood.

Umm Randy - it sounds like the distributor won't come back out of the motor though... However I'd agree that you may have a phasing problem and need to get that puppy back where it belongs. If you wiggle the rotor and tug, any luck? Is it down at the gear end or do you think that it's just tight in the hole (snicker)? Did you have to force it in? Okay, I've got to stop asking questions before I fall out of my chair but you get the idea. If it's at the top around the hole maybe some penetrating lube? smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BLKMGK:

or do you think that it's just tight in the hole (snicker)? Did you have to force it in? Okay, I've got to stop asking questions before I fall out of my chair but you get the idea. If it's at the top around the hole maybe some penetrating lube?
smile.gif

BLKMGK,

I cant stop laughing! Everytime I read your questions; busting out laughing; now-wiping the tears from my eyes!!!

Seriously tho. I had an Olds 455 once where its distributor drive gear was "Stuck in the Hole" (Here we go again with the inuendo). What I did, & I wasnt concerned w/braking the distributor as I wanted it out: I found two flat pieces of iron that fit on the left/right side of the distributor & just pried upward against the intake manifold "while a friend would wiggle the top" (here we go again) of the distributor. "Even w/both of us pulling & shaking" (good grief) it still took a better part of an hour before the distributor slipped out. When the distributor did come out: THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG W/ANY PART OF IT! The gears were just worn & didnt want to release! Weirdest thing!

Hope that helps; good luck "in pulling it out!" "Lather that sucker w/penetrating Oil (I mean Lube...I mean Grease).

Man, I dont smoke & even I need a cigarette after reading/adding to this thread!

Kevin