HybridZ

No POV

JessZ

I just got my 240zxt running and am now concerned about the 1" plug that is in the manifold inplace of the POV. My '83 turbo motor is stock and running well, should I be worried about engine compression do to this modification?

I have read that the POV is a last resort, failsafe mechanism in case the wastegate "goes crazy." I'm not sure what a wastegate going crazy means. Anyway, I don't want to damage my new setup, should I get a POV?

The pop off valve is just to protect your motor from running too much boost. For example, if your wastegate actuator doesn't work - goes "crazy", the turbo will continue to spool and build pressure. Too much boost, not enough fuel will cause your motor to run lean and possibly blow a piston or worse.

I'm not sure what the POV would have to do with "engine compression", as you said, it's merely a safety device. It doesn't control how much boost your run, that's controlled by your wastegate.

I don't run a pop off valve, I really don't think many people do either. Don't confuse it with a blow off valve, though. Hmm, I feel like I have deja-vu, I think there was a thread about this recently..

I modified the stock POV to vent at 12 PSI rather then the stock 8-9 PSI. I currently run 10 PSI boost. I feel its cheap protection in case I ever over boost by accident. One bad adjustment of my electronic boost control and my engine could be toast.