HybridZ

72 chevy camaro not Z related but could you help

Guest ZmeFly

Guest ZmeFly

a friend of mine has a 72 camaro. he was having probs with the carb and bought a remanufactured rochester quadrajet. runs decent except when he pushes the car full throttle. then it acts like its out of gas. putts and sputters, he lets off the gas runs fine again. can anyone give me a few ideas as to whats wrong.

What's wrong? Well first of all he's using a Rochester!!! Nah, just kidding. Please tell me he replaced the fuel filters, yes? How much gas is in the car when he's "getting on it?" Others will chime in as well.

Guest kc6wfs

Yo..

I ran into a similar problem today playing with my V8Z.

With mine it mostly was timing. I needed more advance???(had to turn the dist counter clockwise, Me at the front looking at the dist!) I did not have my timing light with me. I often time my motors by the seat of my pants roadside.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Guest Anonymous

What are your fuel injectors rated at? You may need to replace them for bigger ones.

Matt smile.gif

------------------

1999 Camaro SS

All SLP Options

Was this the reason he replaced the carb in the first place??? If so it may not be the carb... you didn't menchion if it goes away if he keeps his foot on the floor or if it just dies altogether. You could have several different problems but more than likely it is ignition !!!

Do the basic's

Ignition first, cars tend to like the same timing, even if the mixture is off. So set the initial timing and make sure the distrubitor is working properly, while you are at it put in some new points and condencer (not the cheep pep boys stuff either). Check the cap and rotor also look at the spark plug wires in the dark and make sure they arn't putting on a ark fest. Then look at the plugs. Make sure all the wires to the coil are in good shape and not shorted also make sure you have a good motor ground.

Then fuel supply, make sure the pump and lines are good. it may just be running out of fuel.. Check the return to the tank and the fuel filter, if any of this stuff is plugged it will keep you from getting fuel.

once you have checked all of the above things.

Then go to the carb last, yes last it is usually the other stuff, If the problem is just a stumble (goes away if you hold it wide open) Qjets have a secondary air door which opens the secondary side. There is an adjustment under the right side of the air door. It is a small flat head screw, you will need a mirror to see it. This adjusts how fast the secondarys open.( a little adj here makes a big difference so be careful) If they were opening to fast it would cause a bog but not missing and spudering and would go away as the motor came up.

Hope this helps but do some basic stuff before you go changing stuff. It is usually somting simple, broken ground wire, shorted coil, bad condencer etc... take a look.. let us know what you find....

------------------

Remember it is only a piece of metal.

[This message has been edited by Ray (edited March 04, 2001).]