HybridZ

240z alternator and ingition upgrade help

was up guys,

I was looking and planning to upgrade my old volt reg and alternator with a 280zx alternator along with dumping my points with a electric setup. I was looking at my voltage reg and noticed this funny looking thing. can anyone tell me what it is? it was bolted right next to the reg.

fuse002.jpg

Also next and attached to my coil there another one or similar looking object.

1.jpg

I looked in my books but really didn't find what I was looking for.

Later,

Allen

Those are capacitors. The one next to the VR helps protect the contacts of the old mechanical relays when they open from arcing as much. The one next to the coil does the same thing for the mechanical points, although on my '73 it was located on the outside of the distributor. Secondarily they help reduce ingintion noise from being heard on the radio.

If you go with an electronic ignition and internal VR in the later ZX alternator, you can remove them both. I've done both those upgrades, don't have either of those caps anymore, and have no ignition noise on my stereo.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Daniel, I was hoping you could help me with a problem I'm having with my car. I put an 83 zx alternator in my 71 240z and now my car will not turn off with the key, I just stall the engine with the clutch. I removed the old VR and put a diode on the back of the new alt. but It's still not working. Any help would be appreaciated. Thanks Karl

Thank you. I have the cathode (negative) side of the diode facing the alt. attached to the wire coming off the top spade of the T-connector that plugs into the back of the alt. Should it be attached to the lower wire of the T-connector? I'll try that and also I'll check to see if the diode is blown. It's a 3amp 200volt diode, is that enough? Thank you again for your help.

Karl