HybridZ

Lt1 Vss question......

Guest dirtyt

Guest dirtyt

Is it needed to run right? i just went for a spin with out it hooked up and its running like ♥♥♥♥. spitting and spuddering under any kind of throttle.

Thanks

Bryan

Yes, it can run like crap with no VSS signal. I was suprised that it made that big of a difference. I left the VSS unhooked after a clutch swap once and drove the car. It ran like crap. Hooking it back up cured the problem.

Jody

Guest dirtyt

it wasnt the vss. it was the alt. trigger wire comming out of the connector. i thought that was just a dummy light wire but i was wrong. so turns out at higher rpm my fuel pump wasnt seeing the volts it needs so it was starving the motor of fuel. now that its charging it all works great.

The VSS makes a difference when you are coming to a stop and using the engine to help slow the car. The IAC will open some to keep the revs up just a bit when the car is moving, but if your VSS is not connected the PCM thinks the car is stopped and as soon as you let off the throttle the PCM will close the IAC in an attempt to drop the revs. If the revs are up because the clutch is engaged and the car is moving as soon as you disengage the clutch the engine will die or come close to it.

I ran my car for a short time with out the VSS and had this happen to me several times. I tried tuning it out by bumping the idle but that didn't help so I found a VSS that connected inline with my speedometer cable. Problem solved.

Wheelman