HybridZ

adding a rag joint to my steering arm to clear headers/how t

I posted this snip from my header post as the steering issue hasn't been addressed.

It occurred to me last night that if I drop/lower my motor AFTER the headers are fitted/clear my steering arm that this would bring the header closer and possibly reinterfere with the steering arm. (and I don't have time to do final lowering prior to headers) So maybe splicing my steering arm makes more sense than having headers overly customized.....Does it have to tie to the inner fender...or a mount/tab tied into my xmember horn sandwhiched under motor mount??

Still somewhat undecided on whether the headers should be brought out and around the steering shaft OR if the steering shaft should be sectioned/U jointed/tied to fenderwell so the header can be brought down tight to block. I figure either mod is a one time thing and as I'll want my exhaust closer to my frame rail than oilpan anyhow to clear oil filter (and possible T56 slave later on) that I may as well have headers brought out and down by the rail.....comments/ideers? It's the welding required for the steering mod that has me leary as I can't do that myself and steering 'joint' kits are pricey AIR. Anyone know exactly what parts I'd need and approximate cost? one extra steering shaft with stock Ujoint from a parts car and a sperical tie rod with ID to match OD of rod with tie rod attached to inner fender?? .....thanks in advance for all thoughts and ideers....

PS checked a ZX crossmember yesterday and it has lots of room for me to slot the engine mount 'hole' on the horn as I lower it relative to the crossmember. At least 1.1-1.2" lateral room and it'll still allow me to fit a large bolt underneath and tighten etc..... icon_smile.gif

Guest scca

EASY to do, get a sweet or similar rack u-joint- a 5/8" heim and mount it as the pivot point. weld the rod to the new universal and thats it--

i have pics i can show of in a race car and i will be doing this for the convertible as well for the 5L conversion...

Mike

Guest scca

it could likely be done in a few hours...

assuming you have the room to mount the heim to hold the shaft in place without taking the car apart..