HybridZ

NZR: Hooray for 3" exhaust!

280Z Turbo

My dad and I just finished up the cat back, mandrel bent Flowmaster 3" exhaust on my dad's '98 3.9L V6 Dakota.

He had to replace it because the old muffler was some piece of crap Autozone special was rattling apart. In addition, the old system was all bent to hell because the muffler was banging up against the driveshaft and the pipe was bent out of the way. It was a real mess!

Since I love the 3" exhaust on my Turbo 280Z, I somehow convinced him to go 3" on the Dakota. The system was actually meant for the 318 and 360 V8 motors, but it fit just fine. It came with a sturdy Flowmaster welded muffler, mandrel bent 3" pipe after that, and a nice polished stainless steel rolled tip to go with it. I wanted that for my Z!

Not a bad deal for just under $200.

My butt dyno says he picked up 20 hp from that alone! It's a little bit louder under acceleration and it has a hollow sound to it, but it sounds nice. Reminds me of one of those baja trucks they run out in the desert. Luckily, it's nice and silent while cruising.

I couldn't believe how much quicker it would wind out to the 4700 rpm redline. I'm sure his gas mileage will get noticeably better too.

It's probably more exhaust than what this thing needs, but I love it!