HybridZ

Vq30de(t)

Guest Markd248

Guest Markd248

I'm looking into forced induction my 97 maxima. and i know that the 300ZX's engine has a lot of similarities since its a VG30DE/VG30DET/VG30DETT. ive been looking into bolting on a turbocharger or supercharger. although what i was curious to was if i could pull the turbo from a 84-89 single turbo VG and put it on my VQ. ive found kits online that run for about 3000-5000. although im on a budget and was wondering if pulling the kit from a old 300zx would be cheaper.

also if any of you have a way to keep it N/A but capable of beating most cars on the road for cheap please tell me. ive already installed a new intake, and am looking into exhaust kit, headers, or new ecu.

thanks for any advice,

mark

Manifolds will be very different between the VG30ET and the VQ30DE. Another problem is the stock turbo on the 300ZX is grossly undersized for even the stock VG30ET... for a better flowing VQ30DE it will be even worse.

If you can do all of the work, you can build a kit yourself especially doing the very common reverse y-pipe setup on many of the boosted Maximas. If not, you best bet would be to start saving some money and check out maxima.org for some kits that people are selling. You can find used kits every once in a while that are much less than the new price.