HybridZ

My Megasquirt is buzzing :S

zane9000

I was out for a test drive last night and I noticed that there is a buzzing sound coming from my MegaSquirt. The buzzing seems to be directly proportionate to RPM, both when I rev the engine with the gas pedal and when I down shift. I am running MS-II on a V3 board using the direct coil ignition. My assumption is that is it coming from the part of the circuit that fires the coil, though I have not had time to verify that. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

It is the coil driver. The engine runs at an audible frequency (duh...), so even the firing of the coil you can hear. Since a fair amount of current is unduced in the wiring around the MS (because you are using the internal coild driver), you can acutally hear it. No, it is not a problem, and you certainly don't need a new MS. The car is running fine, right? Remeber, in all production cars, the coil driver is located in the engine compartment, so you can not hear it over the engine. Your coil driver is in the passenger compartment.

I would re-check you assembly just be sure you don't have an incorrect value capacitor installed somewhere. That could cause a resonant frequency close to the engin RPM. This could cause the coil firing energy to be audibly amplified at those frequencies.