HybridZ

little help on where to start

proboner

i am obviously a brand new member of this forum and i plan on reading thru in greater depth, but i thought id throw this out here in case anyone wants to take the time to give me some suggestions.

so im looking to get a 240 which i can drive for a little while and then eventually swap a mazda KLZE v6 into. i choose the KLZE because i am a ford probe gt owner and the KLZE is the japanese version of my motor... so i have a lot of experience with it. basically what im looking to find out is what to watch for when looking to purchase my z, and whats needed for the eventual swap. what are some usual problem areas that i should watch out for when looking at a potential car?

as for the swap, i have a decent idea of what im goign to do but i definately need some input as well. engine is taken care of, fuel injection via megasquirt (already have a megasquirt on my car), assume ill need a new fuel pump/filter/fpr. as for transmission, im not sure how viable it would be to fit a stock tranny up to my engine, and i also assume i want the 5 speed from the 280 if i do use a stock tranny? lacking that i plan on a 2nd gen rx7 tranny. custom motor mounts, shift linkages (if changing tranny), hoping the stock steering rack will work?

the overall plan of the car is to supercharge and make at least 350whp, and use it for just an all around fun car. plan to drag it, autox, maybe some road racing, everyday driving. any help at all would be appreciated, sorry if this was vague and ignorant, im just learning about these cars!

Hi Proboner lol, theyres a TON of info on this website at your disposal, Im trying to restore a 280 2+2 and not having alot of cash (cant get a job at 15) I have depended alot on getting on hybridz and getting info on how I can do stuff myself, THANK YOU everyone.

Aaannnyways Id really watch out for rust in the lower rear fender, rocker panels front fenders, repairs on the front valance (alot get crunched) and battery tray, frame rails and the ridge below the deck lid. If theyres others I dont know about someone should respond soon and add on. I know a guy with a probe gt. I dont know much about the motor but I dont know if theyd be any better then a somewhat built L28 or L28et which are nearly like a direct replacment motor.(kinda) But whatever you feel comfortable with is your decision. I think you want to drag and run atleast 14's and not spend a ton get a V8 and for autox a stock motor or other L motor should be fine. If you dont know already Black Dragon and Motorsport Auto are two good suppliers of Z parts. Hope I was some help. Good Luck

probes are fwd, but a simple adapter plate can mate a tranny up. im hoping to run MUCH better than a 14 second 1/4, im already running that or faster with my N/A pgt. i just love my engine and know a lot about it, plus i can get a KLZE (as said before, 200hp jspec version of the stock probe engine, have one in my car now) for 550 bucks with under 30,000 miles on it. i guess i just like to make things difficult on myself!

i used to know mazda motors the klze is what they put in probes and mx3s mainly the mxs but in my opinion u would probably be better of if ur going to spend alot of cash to just get the v8 conversion and do that or if u are low i would put the turbo l28et in the car. i drove a stock turbo z and they are pretty quick i think i read somewhere they are pushin 190 hp stock. alot of guys here just build up the l28et and are pushin more than what that klze would do. thats just my 2 cents

my probe is very far from stock. and the klze didnt ever come in the mx3, the mx3 had a 1.8L v6 as opposed to the 2.5L ze. although i appreciate all the input, im not really looking in any direction other than the ze. maybe when it comes down to it in the end ill look at the l28, but i doubt it.

i never said the ze ever came in the mx3 i said thats what they swap into them i dont know whay u are so up on the ze anyways the bpt from japan from what i have seen so far tears up the ze when modded right but in a z u should do the v8 or l28et in it im probably going to swap out for a l28et in mine but its up to how much u wanna spend also i would look at the weight or ur probe against the z ur probe might be lighter than the z so u will have to do more than mod it alittle bit imo u can get more out of the l28et than that klze motor. but like i said its up to how much u wanna spend on it.