HybridZ

Source for VG30 exhaust flanges?

hoohaa

I am planning to build a set of log style turbo manifolds for my 1990 pathfinder with the VG30E, and I thought this might be a good site to check out. I have searched but I didn't really come up with anything. I do apologize if this is covered elsewhere.

I just need the exhaust flanges, I would hate to have to cut them myself if there is already a source for them out there. I need them in mild steel, the thicker the better.

Thanks

I know a guy who has a turbo'd pathfinder, I could ask him where he got his flanges from.. LOL

Ha ha.. Hoohaa, why didn't you just ask me when we were on the phone?

They were rather tricky to design as the ports were not symetrical to each other. Also I seem to remember that it was possible to bolt them on upside down and on the opposite head but the ports were not quite lined up if you did it that way. LOL leave it to Nissan to make a whacky flange design.

My buddy probably still has it on AutoCad, and could have some more made up, I'd have to get back to you on a price though.

I know a guy who has a turbo'd pathfinder' date=' I could ask him where he got his flanges from.. LOL

Ha ha.. Hoohaa, why didn't you just ask me when we were on the phone?

They were rather tricky to design as the ports were not symetrical to each other. Also I seem to remember that it was possible to bolt them on upside down and on the opposite head but the ports were not quite lined up if you did it that way. LOL leave it to Nissan to make a whacky flange design.

My buddy probably still has it on AutoCad, and could have some more made up, I'd have to get back to you on a price though.[/quote']

Haha, that was one of the main reasons I called you, but I forgot to ask when we were on the phone. So did your buddy make just one set for you, or what?

I would be very interested, I don't really want to worry about flanges, the manifolds are going to be tricky enough to make as it is. I am going to try my best to fit a smallish turbo on each side of the block.

Let me know what he says. :burnout:

• 5 months later...

Over at www.z31performance.com there are 2 members currently producing Exhaust flanges for the VG30E(T):

• SteveZ31 is making 1/2" thick CNC machined 304 stainless steel 1 piece flanges (1 flange per cylinder bank) priced per pair at $115 + $5 shipping in the US. He is also making the same flanges out of mild steel priced per pair at $100+$5 shipping in the US. Here is the link: www.redz31.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3092
  • StreetFighter will be making 3/8" thick CNC machined stainless steel flanges. These will be individual port flanges, with each port having is own 2 bolt flange. Prices arent listed yet, but send him a PM for more information. Here is the link: www.redz31.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3252

Also, you should consider buying stainless steel exhaust studs.

-Mike

Sweet. Thank you very much. This is exactly what I have been waiting for. This will save me a load of time.

I see a couple places that sell stainless steel exhaust studs, but with the .50" thick flange I think I will need longer studs. Do you know of a place that sells longer studs?

Thanks

If do some reading in Stevez31's post (link posted above) you will see that a few others had the same question as you. How do you use the SS studs with those 1/2" flanges? The few people that ordered the flanges who have SS studs are planning on machining out the stud holes in the flanges, in an effort to "countersink" the holes. I dont know if countersink is the right term... but that is probably the easiest solution. Maybe PM a few of the members who will be doing that for more information...

It looks like SteveZ31 is advertising the flanges here on Hybridz in the classifieds under the name "theZ". They were just posted today, and as of right now, only 3 pairs are left. Quick! send him a PM! Heres the link: http://classifieds.hybridz.org/showproduct.php?product=3940

Good luck on your Pathy project BTW. It sounds interesting.

-Mike

Guest phat87mazdarx7

to be honest I think that is just a rediculous price for a flange.115 i rather spend like 90 on ebay and get some headers and just chop them up and even use the pipes(cut and fit). or maybe even getting in contact with pacesetter or something and see if i could get just the flanges.

Its the setup and running of the CNC mill that drives the cost up. Especially on a low-production run like this one. Its only $57.50 per flange... And I definately havent seen any $90 VG30E(t) headers on ebay. If there really are $90 headers for VG30E(T)'s available, I would like to know where to get them... Until then, just buck up the extra $25 and buy yourself some sweet SS flanges.

-Mike

Guest phat87mazdarx7

I just caled a few machine shops fri evening and they all quoted me 15 to cut each one. plus steel. (Im useing plain old mild steel) and the ceramic powder coat is only like $20 for everthing.

I just caled a few machine shops fri evening and they all quoted me 15 to cut each one. plus steel. (Im useing plain old mild steel) and the ceramic powder coat is only like $20 for everthing.

ummm...? I don't understand...

$15 per side+steel+ceramic coat=$20 for everthing?

$15 to CNC Mill 1/2" steel to a VG30 exhaust flange? Do they already have the pattern in their computer or what? I assume you looked at the pictures on the links i posted...They are a rather complex pattern. Most of the cost of the flanges is in labor intensive designing of this "pattern" on the computer, so that the mill can cut it out.

Care to explain how they are gonna do all that work for next to nothing? I would be intersted in a set at that price.

Thanks

-Mike

Guest phat87mazdarx7
ummm...? I don't understand...

$15 per side+steel+ceramic coat=$20 for everthing?

$15 to CNC Mill 1/2" steel to a VG30 exhaust flange? Do they already have the pattern in their computer or what? I assume you looked at the pictures on the links i posted...They are a rather complex pattern. Most of the cost of the flanges is in labor intensive designing of this "pattern" on the computer, so that the mill can cut it out.

Care to explain how they are gonna do all that work for next to nothing? I would be intersted in a set at that price.

Thanks

-Mike

I took the exhaust gasket to the machine shop and I told them i need the pattern copied to 1/2 in steel and he said no problem he said it will cost 15 to 20 each flange, and they said when i get the headers all welded up that they will powder coat them in ceramic for 20 to30. and im going to probably make the headers like a set I seen on one of the z31 site kinda wanna say "redz31.com" someone used a hand full of t- fittings(plumbing). Its called a log style header. unless I can get a hold of a small radious pipe bender. most exhaust shops cant bend tight enough, but I would love a traditional style pipe header. I want my turbo sitting right up front and a homemade exhaust cutout right under the header(wasn't that loud when I was running open downpipe.) and plus my ne turbo would be so much better up front. its a HX-35/ Dodge ram turbo diesel, and its getting the intercooler too, its black(Sleeper look). all the turbo stuff off the car like the little turbo stickers on the rockers and the tail lights

• 5 weeks later...