HybridZ

Lacking Power

nismofiend

It's been doing this for awhile now but, when I first got the timing set after the head gasket job was all done it ran great and strong and when I got on it, it would spin first, second a little, and bark third. Now if I try and just go it bogs down in first and feels like it has no torque, sure doesn't spin tires or bark at all anymore.

Basically when/if I give it full throttle it just bogs down and feels gutless, as if a stock kia rio could fly past me. I've already rebuilt the AFM and that was before the problem so I don't think it's that, I just put on new injector connectors but, that was after the problem so I don't think that's it either although it does feel a lot smoother now. The air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and spark plug wires (taylor 8mm) are all new. It doesn't smoke either if that helps at all.

I plan on buying the pallnet fuel rail soon with the fuel pressure gauge so that should give me some insight on that. Should I look into getting newer but still used injectors off of another car?

Before I forget it's a NA 1979 280zx 2+2 5-speed. I understand that it's bound to be slow because of NA+2+2=slow but it seems to have lost all power. Cam gear is set to the third position if that matters.

Im trying to think of anything that I might've forgotten,. . . . hmm.

No suggestions at all?!

Also, when I start the car it's either on five cylinders or a really bad miss. Im pretty sure it's five cylinders though because that sound and feel is hard to miss. It goes away after a few taps of the throttle but, it's doing it more and more lately.

You say it misses some on start up..what color are the plugs. Do they all look the same? If its low on power have you done a compression or leak-down test? If you think you've got an injector problem, you can send them off to have them tested, or if you're handy, you can build a rig of your own and check the spray pattern and volume. Just remember if you're using your cars fuel pump and actual gasoline, be careful. Makes sure there are no electrical devices or anything else that might emit a spark while test firing the injectors.

The spark plugs look pretty good and only slightly black but, I can only imagine that's from the various tinkering I've done with the timing. Honestly I don't think it's an injector problem. Im starting to think it's just a crappy engine problem. Keep in mind I had to replace the head gasket on this car when I first got it, it was not running. Somehow I missed it but, the cam bearing cap was missing a bolt on the driver side (#1 cylinder) and the cam bearing cap near the #6 cylinder has a completely stripped out hole on the passenger side, the bolt was missing from the first one and still in place just sitting there on the second.

Suddenly I've become extremely worried as to how big of a problem this could be and I realize that I've been driving this car for five months with these two bolts missing and I've gotten on it plenty. I wonder how close to failing the engine could be now.

The body is in great shape and the car only had 78,803 miles on it when I got it. Although it leaks lots of oil from various places, coolant (needs new radiator) and power steering fluid (needs all new lines). There are several important places that have been stripped out by the previous owner and the brakes are still super soft eventhough I've replaced the front rotors, pads,lines and master cylinder, . . twice.

The Z is worse than my woman in that it breaks my balls and my heart where as the woman just breaks muh balls.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I have not done a compression check for that I am worried to what I may find, . . . one of those things where I need to do it but, Im afraid of the results.

Should I start looking for another engine? Maybe rebuild it?

i remember when i bought my first zx, it did the same thing. for me the timing had jumped due to a bad tensioner. anyhow, i went carbureted (hate efi) and im happy. but that really sounds like a timing problem. like a spark plug or it's wire is faulty. did you also check your dizzy cap and rotor?