HybridZ

Rebuilding an old engine

24OZ

Hi all,

I have a 4cyl block that I want to restore, it's been sitting for a few months outside without the head, but pistons and conrods had been removed - the crankshaft had been left in it.

The bores now have surface rust in them, and the journals of the crankshaft (which would have had the conrods on them) also have surface rust.

The first question is can I just wire wool the rust on the bores and then have them rehoned?

Secondly, I'm sad to say that the PO had removed the sump from the block and the block has been resting on the crankshaft for a few months.

How do i check that no damage has occured to the crank? Is it a case of taking it to a shop and asking them to balance it? I would really like to save this crankshaft if possible as its a stroker crank for that particular engine and is very rare.

Also the journals of the crankshaft where the conrods would have been attached are now showing light surface rust, is this ok still?

Thanks in advance for any help!