HybridZ

Getting strong smell of tranny fluid at speed!

HeatRaveR

I installed a Mustang Steeda T5 short shifter on my '82 Turbo last weekend. Ever since then, I've been getting this strong smell of what seems to be manual transmission fluid when I'm in motion (kind of a dizzying, almost vinegary/alcoholish smell). Strangely enough, I only smell it when I have the window down a couple inches. If I have it all the way up, or all the way down, I don't smell it. So I'm guessing the pressure of air sucks the smell into the car at speed when the window's at a certain height. I've tried sniffing around the engine bay, the shifter, and under the car, but can't find the source of the smell. I even checked around the shifter and it's dry as a bone. I'm guessing maybe the smell only appears at speed because the transmission is actually spinning/doing something.

Any ideas as to how to track down this leak/smell, and/or what suddenly caused it? I just don't know how a short shifter could cause a leak somewhere in the tranny.

By the way, does anyone know where the fluid inspection hole is on the Borg-Warner T5?