HybridZ

Tube Frame Front End & A-Arm Conversion

I have a 260Z that is used for Ice Racing and the front frame rails are beyond repair. I am considering removing the front clip and doing a tube frame front end. Has anyone done this? Suggestions and advice on what to watch out for would be nice. Also considering new cross member with A-Arms & coilovers, has anyone tried this?

jkershaw@icrossroads.com

Welcome John! Great to see you here, I'm sure some of the racers will pipe up on your q's. Michael Spreadbury built a strutless 510 with a mix of mazda etc A-arms etc but I'm not sure where it's documented.....I'll chase it down. Do they still have the Unser wknd once/season for your racing series?

ahh, here's some link's to Michael's builds (FWIW, Michael's a helluva guy who's given me great input over the years and is just as enjoyable in person!)

pics of Michael's strutless wonder

click thru 'strutless conversion' within this URL once opened

direct link to strutless pics and info.....mazda and toyota A arms used...

Here's Pete's writeup on his altered front end which was basically a new front frame from firewall fwd AIR,Pete's struct. mods

search of the forum showed Chris's website dead.....any update on how far he got or is along with his full tube frame effort or a new web?

Guest Anonymous

They do have clips like this:

550910001.jpg

that I'd like to see done some time on a Z, massive work, but if it spliced into subframe and rollcage it'd be sweet. You can get them with Vette suspension components. This is a major mod of course, but then again I'm not a huge fan of the mc pherson strut front ends anyway, they're compact and cheap, but stock adjustability is lacking to be kind. Oh well, good luck with your project.

Regards,

Lone