HybridZ

Ready to begin swap, need engine advice

Howdy, Folks!

It's time. With my JTR book under my arm, and not too much cash burning a hole in my pocket, I'm headed for the junkyards to pick up the engine/trans for my 1974 260-Z. My plan, for the curious, is to install in a junkyard engine to start with, then build up a nice, new engine later, after I've got the rest of the driveline installed and running. The problem is, I'm pitifully ignorant of American iron. I want the 4-barrel 350 cid engine and preferably a non-computer 200R4 trans (second choice is a 700R4), but I don't know what cars would make good donors. I would like to avoid the mix-and-match game if at all possible (1974 headers, 1984 intake, 1992 blinker fluid resevoir, etc.) but I realize that some parts swapping is inevitable.

So what's the poop? What's the best donor car for an engine? What cars came with a 200R4? Thanks for your help - I appreciate the heck out of it.

Scott Ferguson

(So close, I can smell the fumes!)

Consider going to a Truck Salvage yard; you can find an old Chevy/GMC w/complete eng/trans still in the truck; may even still run...that way you get all the brackets & a truck eng/trans will usually be stronger than a typical passenger drivetrain.

Even if you dont use the 3spd trans you can use it later as a partial trade-in/upgrade for another trans of your choice.

Search around & take your time buying an engine; scour your local Part's Section in the Auto/Truck Traders over & you will usually find a wrecked car/truck w/complete running eng/trans. Watch the Auto/Truck Traders for at least a month....usually you will find some good deals in a months time!

The thing w/the Auto/Truck Traders; most Used Car Dealers are also watching the Traders. They know when/where the Traders come out & they are there first-waiting for them to be delivered; Hot off the press. I've found, here in the Dallas area, where the Traders come out & when; I can get them pretty early if/when I like.

FYI for those on a budget!

Kevin,

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

Guest Anonymous

Scott

I completed a SB V8 conversion recently using the JTR manual as a guide. It is very useful and I recommend you read it several times before you begin. I also selected a TH2004R transmission and it has been reliable. Mine came out of a 1985 Monte Carlo SS. Using 195-65x14 on '83 Datsun alloy rims the engine turns 2100 in OD at 70 mph and accelerates HARD as far as you want to take it. Recently I changed to a 2000 rpm stall torque converter, but wish that I hadn't. The stock converter gives better acceleration at lower rpms but it is not as smooth.

One caution; the plastic speedometer drive gear and the driven gear are weak in the TH2004R. I advise that you consider changing to an electric drive speedometer and install a pulse generator at the transmission to take the stress off the speedo gears. The drive gear is expensive to replace and access to it is poor. These components are available from VDO and other sources. I'd be glad to share what I have learned if you want to contact me. As I said, the JTR manual is great, but there will be decisions you must make as you continue the project. Good luck and enjoy! It's a worth-while project. pj

Guest harth

Look for complete cars to. You may find grandma selling her fairly low mileage only driven to church 4-door for a good price considering what a yard would want for just a motor and trns. Michael 280ZZ4

Guest Anonymous

For the motor I would look for a respectable looking family sedan with rear or side damage you'll want to be sure the car was able to move when it was wrecked. Look at the exterior of the motor to see if was clean and taken care of, and pull a valve cover to check out the valve train. Get everything that comes off the car especially the parts that you don't think you'll need. In a perfect world you could get everything off one car, But...Just don't be too hasty, Cause your expecting this thing to run. Also take a peek at the interior of the car it should tell something about the P.O. Same goes for the trans.

Thanks for all the help, guys! I found an old pickup truck (per Kevin) that seems to have everything I want in it, and on that note, I'm starting a new thread. Look for "Found an engine! Need distributor advice" in this section for more.

Again, thanks!! :-)

Scott

[This message has been edited by RPMS (edited March 11, 2001).]