HybridZ

280ZX front strut adjustable camber plates? interest?

I have a set of proven camber plates with built in additional caster. I'm installing them in my car and wondering if others are interested at all. I can send pics to anyone interested, they work with 2.5" standard coilover springs replacing your stock upper mount. They use a high grade teflon spherical bearing on the strut pivot up top and a torrington bearing at the spring pivot point (as you no longer have the OEM upper bearings). Cost would be ~$220US for one pair to do your two front struts. I need them to allow me additional room to step to 8" long springs from my short 7's as well as the additional castor and ability to back off on my camber (lowering automatically increased camber and decreased castor.....both undesireable IMO and led to dartiness) which will decrease tire wear (higher castor can allow you to run less camber to a point) below even OEM settings perhaps. Drop me a line personally if interested. Thanks.

I'll post the pics here once I get them up on the web.

Forum seems fixed now icon_smile.gif Besides what's above I was looking for feedback on existing camber plates available for Z's. Are current designs liked? If not what aspects are disliked? My setup above has been used on rally/race 510's with no complaints (heavy duty teflon bearings etc). Reading Terry's writeups at www.zhome.com it sounded like max (or at least more)caster could be a great thing, allowing one to reduce their camber settings and reduce tire wear.

"Terry's 'additional' caster writeup

".......second benefit of this set-up is that it will allow quite a bit less static negative camber to be needed in setting up the car, which then allows for more tire to road contact in straight line braking. I currently run about 3/4 degree negative camber very successfully on my racing Z with the 7 degrees caster. The Z cars started with 3 degrees caster, which was later changed to 5 degrees in the ZX's, and I believe it ended with 7 degrees on the present day 300ZX's.......

If more is good I might alter this camber plate design for more built-in caster...

thanks in advance

Well you do away with a rubber insulator present in the OEM mount. I'd think a simple 'thin' high durometer rubber ring or 'washer' might help that, if an issue in Z mounts? Friends running the 510 setup I discussed above have not noticed any noise due to this setup. I have heard of poor bearings/poor fits on other setups but no specifics...any slop in their and you will definitely get specific noise, not just translated vibrations from below.

• 2 weeks later...