HybridZ

Found an engine! Need distributor Advice

I've been asking all my friends if they knew of any 350 engine/trans combos (or complete cars, for that matter) for sale. One guy I work with said, "No, I don't...well, as a matter of fact, I do! It's ME!" He's got an old truck (1979 vintage) that has been sitting behind a friend's auto body shop for three or four years now. He says the suspension needs a complete rebuild, and he wasn't interested in investing the time/money in a truck that wasn't worth that much to him anyway.

I went and looked at it yesterday, and it does have a 350 in it, equipped with a Holley 4160 carb and intake. It looks like it's been retrofitted with a HEI system, and the original distributor is sitting on the seat.

My question is this: I understand that there are clearance issues between the HEI distributor and the hood latch bracket. Would there be any benefit in upgrading the old points distributor with a Pertronix Ignitor and using that with an MSD-6A unit I already have, or should I stick with the GM HEI distributor? I pose this mostly as an issue of clearance rather than performance, so that's why I post in this section rather than the "ignition" forum.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Scott Ferguson

1974 260-Z (fixin' to be a 570-Z... WHOOPEE!)

Hi Scott - The clearance issues aren't to bad and you will most likely want to make the JTR type hood latch bracket anyway. The HEI would, however, have a hard time keeping up with the Pertronix/MSD setup. Then you could slot the motor mount holes (per JTR again) and move the engine a little farther aft as well.