HybridZ

Affordable Smaller Bolt-On Overdrives

Guest Mike

Yes, I searched;-)

I'm looking for bolt-on overdrive options. I'm aware of the Gear Vendors and US Gears units. Those are too pricey and too large (long). Besides those are rated to tow THIRTY THOUSAND POUNDS. I just don't need THAT much durability.

Are there any units that are more affordable and smaller... adaptable to a 4L80E transmission? Yes, I know this is already an OD transmission:-D However, I have 3.9:1 gears and the existing OD is only .75:1 which gives me a final ratio of ~2.90:1. I'd like to get my final ratio above 2.4:1. An auxiliary .75 OD will provide a ratio of greater that 2.2:1, which would be ideal. Maybe there are older systems available that can be cannibalized/modifed??

Important Information:

1. Car is a 260

2. Future upgrades are 434 stroker w/ ~600WHP/600 torque

3. Currently has the Scarab style kit but am updating to the JTR UNLESS this affects ability to ad the extra OD

Thanks Jake. Yeah, the way I understand it, the GV and the USG are both old designs. This doesn't make them bad. I don't believe "old" necessarily means bad. However, they're WAY OVERBUILT for use in a daily driver. They're more appropriate for large motor homes, rock climbers, and 1000+ HP monsters. I just can't believe there isn't something smaller/lighter/affordable. I'll bet ten dollars to one donut that there is something out there adaptable for our needs.

Actually the Laycock design was used behind many much smaller and less powerful powertrains in the European vehicles.

I believe they were uses in Jags, Triumphs, and other smaller type cars.

There were several different variations. I think the GV is the "J" type.

I think GV has simply taken the J box, and made it adaptable to many American transmission setups.

They also hold the patent to do so....

If I ever run out of stuff to do, maybe I'll build an OD box using the OD setup from the front of a 4L80 :)